Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 01:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New N75 injectors installed, couple of questions...  (Read 332 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

Actually one question, an observance, and a tool modification requirement   Grin

I installed the N75 injectors I got from Clifford - thanks!  After initial start up, with exhaust manifolds off and no turbo, left hand bank is blowing while smoke.  Should I worry?  What would cause this based on changing injectors?  It cleans up a bit as the engine warms up, but the right bank is clean from 2 seconds after starting and the whole engine used to be clean the same way.

After I installed the injectors I checked the rack adjustment for easy travel on all the injectors.  Then, after I bolted on the Jake housings and tightened them down, the left side had two injectors frozen, so I had to take the Jake housings off to take the tension off the push rods and rockers, then tighten down again this time moving the injector rack the whole time.  It got stiff but loosened up again in both cases. I figure that is just the injectors being stiff from not being exercised?

Tool modification requirement:  I got to use my Snap-on tune-up set for the first time, and it has a nice flare nut socket for the fuel pipes.  I have the O-ring type fuel pipes, not the flare nut type.  There is a sleeve on the top of the nut that is .406" in diameter, and the socket has a circular portion just above the hex that is .385" in ID diameter.  This was causing the socket to only engage half-way down the nut, and it would slip and round off the nut.  I just went back to the socket I made, and didn't notice why the Snap-on socket wasn't working right till I was almost finished, I chucked it in the lathe and drilled it out to 13/32" so it cleared that sleeve, and it worked great after that.

Tomorrow I will warm it up and check the valve clearances and injector timing, and the Jake clearances.  It seems I can only do a lazy man's day of work these days.  Five hours on the wrenches today and I am whipped!  Sad thing, but that's retirement I guess!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »

Probably just a valve,Jake or bridge adjustment if the injector was over fueling it would be black smoke I never checked the rack on the injectors sorry about that 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: