Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 05:23:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freightliner Steering Column Part Missing, Need Part Number..or Part.  (Read 1131 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »

Some esteemed and well-informed members of this board are Freightliner experts...and I got needs related to my Freightliner steering column.  Tom?
There's a small gizmo that looks like a brush holder (a plastic holder with a carbon brush, or spring loaded???) that attaches the horn lead to the steering shaft.  I've never had that part, but would like to find a part number so I can order it.  There's a copper contactor on the steering shaft that's  visible thru a 1" hole in the column.  Two bolts hold the assembly in place.   I need whatever parts are necessary to be able to attach the horn lead to the side of the steering column.
My horn works off the turn signal stalk, but I'd like to get the steering center functional also.  Not big on the "stalk" horn button. 
I've been told that this steering column is a Century Class Freightliner assembly.  It's a nice item...just missing this part.  Has air powered tilt-telescoping feature.   
May be something else...Huh  I bought the column from Tom Hall.  It's been in the bus for three years...no other problems....with the steering anyway.  Wink
Any ideas? 

Thanks, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:18:36 PM »

If there's a Freightliner dealer near you, you could just go there and they can pull up the steering column parts break down so you could see the part you need.  It's very hard to do this since more than one version has been made since the Century was introduced.

For all those that are borrowing parts from a Freightliner truck, make sure you also write down the last six of the serial number so you can reorder any parts that might break.  Freightliner does all there parts call up by the truck serial number since, once again, there are so many different builds to the trucks being made.  For instance, this year they have changed the controller on the steering column from air operated to a small pedal at the bottom of the steering column just above the floor.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »

Thanks Tom.  Freightliner dealer (and plant) is located in Charlotte....about and hour and a half from here.   
I can create something quicker than driving out to North Charlotte.   Charlotte is exquisitely painful to drive thru...often could walk faster.
The steering column was bought new, never been on a truck.  Have no idea exactly what it was designed for...beyond what I have compared it too.  Your advice on keeping up with donors is excellent.  Save a lot of grief for parts guys and customers.
I have some blocks of acrylic plastic that I could rough out  a suitable shape, drill 3 holes, drop a distributor cap brush into the center and viola...it could work. 
Ain't no biggie....horn works.
The weather's suddenly cold...had a nice warm spell for a bit.
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: