Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 02:48:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear axle shavings  (Read 766 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:24:33 AM »

Mechanic says lots of metal shavings in the rear axle

Says $3500 to fix

Ideas?  Questions? 

I don't drive like a truck...maybe 10000 miles a year

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

You have a photo of the shavings ? if real fine I would just clean it good and run a 50/50 of Lucas if large shaving in strips you have a problem Houston

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »

He says the metal is not so fine that its "in the oil" (in solution).
But there are not chunks or peelings or strips.

He is convinced it is not wheel bearings but the pinion gears.

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »

Exactly, I drained my pumpkin after 5 years.  The drain plug had about 1/2 inch of toothpaste consistency "sludge" around it, with a fine metal grit.  Unless there are "chunks" or "slivers" of metal, I'd do as the Guru sez and maybe check again in 10,000 miles or so.

Curious how he'd know from looking at the "metal shavings" how much the repair would be.  Kinda like diagnosing a blown 8v71 with an IR temp gun Grin Grin Grin... I'd run, and quick!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »

He can not just change the pinon gear is he talking about the pinion bearings ? when fines I would run that baby he can a air/ fluid spray cleaner and clean it out if he needs instructions the Texas Border Dude can point the way for him Roll Eyes

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »

Clifford and Doyle are right.

It is perfectly normal to find "fuzz" in gearboxes.

When you find pieces that have part #s on them, it is serious! You shouldn't find any pieces or spots where pieces are missing.

I changed my differential, miter box and hub oilers to Lucas years ago. I do not mix it, just straight Lucas. It comes in the appropiate weights for most applications.

I also have Rare Earth Magnets on every vehicle I own near the drain plugs. When I change fluid, any metal or fuzz is right at the hole so I can see it. These are the greatest magnets I have ever seen. I got them at Quartzite.

I could use some more if any one is going there and will pick them up.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
DaveNCari

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »

I am a semi retired Indy Lights engineer...my specialty is driveline...

I agree completely with the folks above... 

Dave

Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »

I am a semi retired Indy Lights engineer...my specialty is driveline...

I agree completely with the folks above... 

Dave

How would a guy who works on the lights at Indy know anything about drivelines?  Smiley  Just teasing....

I appreciate all the feedback.  I think unless he can show me "chunks" I'm going to have him clean it out and put in fresh oil.  Probably has normal wear for a million miles.

Thanks,

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »

Dave,

$3500 is about the price to rebuild ring and pinion.

Valley Truck and Weller in Grand Rapids area both rebuild.

Does the rear end "howl" or vibrate down the road.    Your approach seems reasonable.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »

The mechanic decided that it wasn't serious.... I already decided that too.

I appreciate all the comments because the shared wisdom gave me the confidence to decide to flush it and fill it.  He did synthetic oil with Lucas.  I told him I would be back around for the next oil change in about 10000 miles and have him look again. 

Thanks again to everyone

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »

No telling how many  $$$ the wisdom of all (other) contributors have saved folks here.  I've seen far too many big expensive S&S rigs at a Detroit authorized dealer or an Allison dealer shelling out big bucks based on a "recommendation" from the mechanic.  Of course they have to suggest "comprehensive" repairs to save their butts from liability.  At least with the good help here and at others, folks can make an informed decision to take a reasonable risk not a foolish one.   Saves lots of bucks!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: