Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 02:04:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AGM batteries?  (Read 654 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »

This is truck related, however will bleed over to the bus someday.
I use 4 group 31 batteries.
What are thoughts to going with AGM's?
Running Maine I need as much cold cranking amps as possible!
I also don't want to have to worry about them letting me down! As I recall most of the folks obser this board that use them love them!!
Thanks in advance!
Jsck

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:43:03 AM »

The only consideration that has to be given is to insure the charging protocol is correct for AGM compared to what every type battery you use now.

Lead acid, AGM and Gel batteries have different charge voltages and in some cases the failure to set up the regulator, charger or inverter to those values could damage a set of batteries or shorten their life. The battery manufacturers supply charging information with the batteries for that purpose.

AGM are excellent not only because they are maintenance free, but because if properly maintained (there's that charging voltage thing again) they have a long life.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »

When Freightliner was having starting issues with batteries being blead down over a view days (was later determined to be faulty alternator regulators), they switched to AGM starting batteries (now have reverted back to any type of battery you desire). 31 AGM's are available in the 850cca range for starting batteries-of which 3400cca total is more then enough starting for cold weather. The only real consideration should be at the battery voltage sensing setting the alternator to charge no more then 14.1 volts (at the battery is a separate wire from the alternator to the battery for the most accurate voltage sensing).

Most standard wet batteries are of at least 950cca. We have cheap 31 starting batteries that are $85 ea. Although I'm an AGM fan for deep cycle-at only $85 ea-is AGM worth the extra cost for starting? You could also install a starting capacitor. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »

We threw an AGM in our tow vehicle so if the battery runs down below 50% while towing there is a better chance of bringing it back up to life with less chance of damaging the battery.  This would typically happen if we run our toads running lights off the toad battery at night.  Not often but so far we have had no issues where as the lead acid was always a pain to deal with.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »

Sean, Don't know how they wireum but had falcon tow bar brackets installed on both vehicles 2013 Ford Edge and F 150 4x4 and just plug them up and go. Pass thur and all lights work. Had a CJ 7 years ago and would always have to start and charge along the way. It was a headache.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »

I really like AGM batteries.  We just bought three Group 31's for the house bank.  Our 2 8d starts needed to be changed also.  However, I was leaning to getting something a bit lighter this time.  Although I could not find a deal I liked on AGM's, it looked like some maintenance-free Group 31's would be a good compromise.  Since we are not doing any real cold country travel, and others have said that they manage fine on two 31's, I thought it was worth a try.  I must say it is nice not to have to engineer how I am going to remove and replace batteries.  We'll see how long they last, but I suspect I will get just as much use out of them as I did with the 8d's.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: