Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 08:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coolant Loss - word to the wise  (Read 4016 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »

Clifford,

Basically, we should always use heavy duty or "truck" antifreeze? Does that sound about right?

For us, we don't use that much with just our bus. We use the Detroit pink stuff, and distilled water Grin Since we aren't running a fleet, the price isn't an issue, and it is a little peace of mind.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »

You are doing right by the 60 series John with the pink stuff and distilled water

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »

Good to hear, Clifford. We will keep on doing that.

Pink stuff, all the way. Just like my steak....LOL

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »

Shell Rotella ELC. (And distilled water)

It ain't cheap.  Wink

Scott -  love the low coolant alarm.   Going to put that on my list.

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »

I'm thinking of flushing my system/triple flush and going with "power cool" (the purple stuff) - silver 8v92 DDEC2 - good or bad choice?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »

Clifford, I realize that not all green coolants are marked "Extended Life", but most of the regular brands are.  Generally, they are green in color and claim to mix with any other coolant.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »

Maybe so Lin I never saw it before in the heavy duty green stuff I know Zerex does not make it

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »

Well, to be honest, I really can't say, as I did, that most are green.  I can only say the ones I've used are.  I just checked and currently have three bottles around.  They are Spectrum, Preston, and CARQUEST.  All say Extended Life and are green.  This thread has been helpful since it made me look at what I have.  Another bottle says "Conventional" on it and, as you mentioned, does say it is for cars and light trucks.  A bottle of Peak that I have says that it is "Long Life", which sounds a bit sneaky to me.

Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »

Not to belabor this subject....but I've been thinking about what I put in the system.
I bought four jugs.  Two of one brand, and when that wasn't enough, later in the day, I bought two more.  I've read the comments, but still confused.  Below is a picture of what I used...

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »

I think the "extended life" is supposed to be a bit higher grade.  Notice the NAPA bottle says for cars and light trucks on the bottle.  I know NAPA has some that say "diesel ready" on the bottle too.  The issue as it was once explained to me, was that the vibration in diesel can create bubbles that can act as an abrasive around the cylinders.  If the 71 series has dry liners, than it would not be an issue.  There are additives available, even at NAPA, that prevent those bubbles from forming.

The disclaimer here is that this is merely something that I was told, so I really do not know.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »

Dave, if you read both jugs they tell you for automotive and light duty truck the Zerex,Fleetcharge and Alliance are about the only ones left making the heavy duty green color the price is getting so high one would be better off buying the DD brand pink at one time the green was 1/2 the price not any more.

I got a price for you today the Zerex green is 25 bucks a gal I could not believe it  

Just catch the Power Cool on sale at a DD dealer it always happens this time of the year and change over to the designer pink stuff you are going to be forced into it in a few years anyway just get it over with now it is good antifreeze I just never liked the distilled water part that went along with it,extended life antifreeze is just precharged so if you have a water filter be careful it requires a non-chemical filter

good luck
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:36:50 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »

Another question-- If one is using one of these coolants that says "for cars and light trucks" on the bottle and is not having any cooling problems, what is the potential downside?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »

Lin, you need protection for the oil cooler those things are the pits to change and if the system is not in good shape they fail there is not that much metal in one to allow for corrosion,then the 92 series have a water cooled aftercooler inside the engine for the turbo it won't stand any type corrosion 

If I knew how to post I could show the results of using a cheap antifreeze does on a oil cooler transmission and engine coolers but here it is what is  Roll Eyes

Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »

Does a couple gallons of the wrong stuff mixed with a system full of the right stuff matter?

What is the additive?  What do I ask for?

I can't wrap my mind around dumping my whole system to refill with the pink stuff.

Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »

If both are green they mix the green and pink are not a good mix, just buy test strips at any NAPA and keep the system in balance the strips I buy tell you what chemicals are needed don't just start dumping chemicals in your system you may not need any I changed the green every 3 or 4 years so I never had a problem keeping the system in balance 

If you have a 92 series manual read section 13 there are 4 pages on the cooling system maintenance all the info is there and if you don't have a manual it would be a good investment to purchase one IMO those engine will serve you well if the maintenance if followed  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:35:34 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: