Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 07:07:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing with bus  (Read 2573 times)
DaveNCari

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2013, 01:41:46 AM »

I know I should not tow anything heavier than a motorcycle trailer with our 4104.....

Is that the case with a Buffalo Bus?

I have seen Eagles towing BIG stuff... .

Dave

Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:03:50 AM »

Don't know about anyone else, but, we towed a 20 foot enclosed with our car, motorcycle and 2 electric scooters in it. Again, I'd like to say thanks to Fred Hobe for the great job he did on the trailer hitch setup.

uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:24 AM »

I toe a 18 foot dual axle box trailer that i can put m mg in or 6  dirt bikes and all the riding gear . it also has 2 bunks beds and a air conditioner and generator installed.

It has been pulled by HUGGY for over 12 years. Huggy also has been modified to remove the back door and to put the 6v92 and v730 in the back.

has not broke into yet. even if some of the professional enginers think it will because it was not factory.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »

Somebody here has pictures of the hitch set up that will let you pull bigger loads.  I lost mine,  but there should be one somewhere.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »

I would only tow if there were an Allison automatic. The manual 4spds just don't have enough reduction to start the load on a steep hill. I know, I know, there will be some that say they have never had a problem. But when you do get stuck on a hill, and burn up the clutch trying to get moving, you'll see why the Allison is best for towing. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »

Somebody here has pictures of the hitch set up that will let you pull bigger loads.

Don -

Are you thinking of the Trailer Toad?  http://www.trailertoad.com/index.html

IMHO, these are cheap insurance if you're going to be pulling a heavy trailer with a GMC.  Takes the majority of the load off those two bolts holding in the cradle.  Not a bad idea for other chassis owners, either.

It's not so much the static tongue load that's the problem, it's the dynamic loads induced while bouncing down the super slab.  Just run alongside somebody towing a heavy trailer and watch what's happening at the hitch point - it will really open your eyes!

A good hitch on a GMC will have stringers going to the rear radius rod attachment points, that way the horizontal loads are tied into the chassis, not the back bumper - again, taking load off those two bolts.

I've seen a couple of GMs buckle the roof above the rear axle from towing heavy trailers. . .

Tom's point about towing with a stick shift applies to ANY 4-spd manual bus, not just GMCs.  Of course, you have to pay closer attention to your temp gauges when towing with the Allison, especially in unlocked converter mode.  Best is to avoid getting yourself into that situation in the first place, regardless of transmission type.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
DaveNCari

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »

Is this Trailer Toad system available for the 4104...?

I might not be interested in a different bus if I could tow a decent trailer wit h the 4104.... I love everything else about it.....

Dave

Watch this space....
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »

No.  Somebody had built a hitch that attached  in front of the engine.  Then it came back and was attached to the bumper only to hold it level.  All the pressure was actually on the undercarriage so there wasn't any torque or weight on the bulkhead. Wish I had the picture.  It bolted on through existing bolt holes.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »

I did a search.  OneLapper, Mark,  was the person who did the hitch I think.  This was some time back so the pictures were gone.  Mark might be gone also. It was something that any welding shop could make.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »

Mark, (one lapper) is the guy with the hitch, he is in CT but have not seen him on the board for quite some time. I know he has had good luck with it, towing quite a large trailer.

Bruce

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
DaveNCari

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »

Being quite the fabricator myself....I'd love to see what this fellow did.....
I might just start making them........

Dave

Watch this space....
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »

I would like to see some detailed pics of these GM hitch set ups. I hope one of you will grab a camera and share it with us.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
DaveNCari

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »

Ok.....I'm going to start measuring and figuring.....to fabricate a load spreading mount system.....since the 4104 is what I am sitting in....going to start with them!

DG

Watch this space....
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »

I would only tow if there were an Allison automatic. The manual 4spds just don't have enough reduction to start the load on a steep hill. I know, I know, there will be some that say they have never had a problem. But when you do get stuck on a hill, and burn up the clutch trying to get moving, you'll see why the Allison is best for towing. Good Luck, TomC

Exactly right Tom - and it doesn't have to be a big load or a steep hill either. Very embarrassing sitting there with lots of noise going nowhere. At least if the load is a toad, you can put the copilot in the toad and help push to get it moving

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »

With a properly designed equalizer hitch, you could actually be reducing the load on the rear structure and transferring it to the front wheels.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: