Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 04:05:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Threw a belt this past weekend  (Read 929 times)
BRUISER

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »

Man oh Man did I get lucky this past weekend..

Driving Bus down I-40 and all of a sudden all my dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree; engine over heating, temp gauges etc.. ( glad I know they all work now )

well I only have 1 engine driven belt and it is for the fans to cool the radiators.. well it broke.. so I pulled over and in 15 mins we were back on the road.. I got SUPER LUCKY as that spare belt came 30 mins before we hit the road Friday..

now it is time to order another spare belt Smiley

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »

... now it is time to order another spare belt Smiley 

And check the drive pulley for tightness (to whatever it's bolted or splined to), roundness, and condition of the Vee-groove.  Also time to check the alignment of the two pulleys, and the driven pulley for the same things as the drive pulley.  Also, check that the tensioner parts are correct - correctly adjusted, not bent or cracked, in line with the tensioner, etc.  If there are things like drive shafts on the drive side or output shafts on the driven side, check any bearings or support for looseness or play.

There is a lot that can screw up a belt, so check everything.   BH  NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »

And check the drive pulley for tightness (to whatever it's bolted or splined to), roundness, and condition of the Vee-groove.  Also time to check the alignment of the two pulleys, and the driven pulley for the same things as the drive pulley.  Also, check that the tensioner parts are correct - correctly adjusted, not bent or cracked, in line with the tensioner, etc.  If there are things like drive shafts on the drive side or output shafts on the driven side, check any bearings or support for looseness or play.

There is a lot that can screw up a belt, so check everything.   BH  NC   USA

I did check the vee-groove on pulley, did try to move pulleys and they did not move even a little, and when I had new belt on I checked to make sure it all looked straight which it did.. and it was super easy using that air cylinder to loosen the pulley ( such a cool concept)

and then we drove another 200 miles with no issues so I think I am good.. Have another 200 miles in 3 weeks so hopefully my new spare will be just that a spare that will stay sealed for many years Smiley

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »

This was my rookie mistake on my first trip In my bus a few years back.  I didn't change this belt after bus sat for a few years. I was at the bottom of Parlys canyon on I-80 in Salt Lake. I had spare belt and was able to get going fairly quickly. My belt went through my A/C belts and messed up my wire in the clutch. I went for a while but had to pull over and spend several hours working on getting A/C going again. I ended up buying new belts for everything in in Wyoming. It ended up being a good bonding session with the wife she even got greasy.
I later found a guide broken up on the gearbox I had to weld back in place. I also changed the worn turnbuckle and set the air pressure on the adjusting cylinder. I'm a long way from my book right now so don't remember the correct. PSI.
John
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:48:25 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »

...  and then we drove another 200 miles with no issues so I think I am good.. Have another 200 miles in 3 weeks so hopefully my new spare will be just that a spare that will stay sealed for many years Smiley 

Nice, good news!  Smiley

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »

Whats a belt?

(GMC joke)....only thing we don't have to worry about breaking... Tongue

Timing is everything!

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »

I would check the belt where it broke-- this is very unusual.
--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »

went threw some paperwork and found the belt is from 1993 and my bus did sit for 7 years.. so I think it was just old..

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: