Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 08:32:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interior Ceiling Covering ? What have you used.  (Read 1796 times)
scanzel

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »

My wife and I are discussing ceiling covering and we both cannot agree on what to use. She says just patch screw marks and paint, I want something more attractive. What has everyone used. We do not want vynal covering.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »

Backsplash sheets from Bontragers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »

Has anyone here used 1/4"-thick cork?   It comes in 36" or 48"-wide rolls, and it has some slight thermal and noise insulation.   I'm thinking of it as a possible contender, but I would paint it satin white.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »

What is the material that is currently on the ceiling?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »

Ozite (Spelling?) I used a light crem white contact cemented over 1/4" luan. Lasted for years and looked very nice. Still have a bunch new on roll if anyne interested.
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »

Has anyone here used 1/4"-thick cork?   It comes in 36" or 48"-wide rolls, and it has some slight thermal and noise insulation.   I'm thinking of it as a possible contender, but I would paint it satin white.

John

We put cork on the cabin ceiling of a boat once and it worked really well - completely solved the condensation that would sometimes form, and it was always warm and pleasant to touch (not cold and hard). I thought it might be prone to getting damaged, but it really wasn't. We coated it in a clear varnish or some sort so it was left in is natural colour. I'm not exactly sure what kind of varnish we used - it wasn't regular yacht varnish but something much thinner that penetrated the cork a bit I think. Possibly some proprietary product sold specifically for use on cork.

Jeremy

PS. Those 'backsplash sheets' - what are they made of - some sort of moulded plastic or pressed wood/fibreboard type thing? I bought some artificial suede fabric (like Alcantara but without the brand-name) for my ceiling, but it'll be a long time before I'm ready to fit it so I'm still open to alternatives

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »

Jeremy,

The backsplash sheets are a very dense fiber board (hard as rock). The side you see is coated in a plastic almost like vinyl. Water proof and wipes clean. We painted it with an interior latex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:43:38 AM »

You said that you didn't want vinyl but I used the hide of the elusive Nauga on both my ceilings and it came out looking really nice.  Just my way.   Wink

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 05:10:13 AM »

You said that you didn't want vinyl but I used the hide of the elusive Nauga on both my ceilings and it came out looking really nice.  Just my way.   Wink

I once hunted Nauga.  Here's the one I had mounted:

Scott & Heather
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 08:11:51 AM »

hi scanzel, this diamond pattern ceiling was a pro conversion from 1986, its CLEANABLE, insulates, has held up all these years in the southwest heat and I think is attractive, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 08:37:56 AM »

Scanzel, We used a 5/16" oak tongue and groove bead board, they are individual boards about 3 1/2" wide put onto plywood that is screwed to the ceiling members. It gives it a warm look. Jason
http://s630.photobucket.com/user/jmblakebus/media/100_1412.jpg.html?sort=6&o=52
http://s630.photobucket.com/user/jmblakebus/media/100_1410.jpg.html?sort=6&o=56

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:40:12 AM by jmblake » Logged

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »

We have two ceilings with different materials.  They both have their advantages.

The 4107 has a commercial fabric wall covering that looks like a really thin carpet.  It is really warm with a little insulating value.  It takes away that tin box sound and makes for really nice surround sound when the tv is on.

The Eagle has a laminate ceiling.  It is part or the lighting system.  There are strip lights along the top of the side walls that point up and reflect off the ceiling for a really nice defused light.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:21:29 AM »

Maybe you should just paint it like she suggest and use it for awhile and travel to bus get together  and look at others. Your prevost has some ceiling foam but the ribs to ceiling alum do transfer a lot of heat and cold--just shoot them in the sun with a IR gun.   I found  20 degree difference from where the ribs are to 6 inches away from them..I added another 1/2inch of foam over entire ceiling to stop this toaster heat transfer effect . Or ice box coil cooling effect.  then covered with luan sheet.  I used the dreaded marine vinyl..(ugh I know)  but you can do as you like.  Car headliner material  ,  slick plastic  ,extruded  foam,  Upholstery fabric, stucco. drywall.  Whatever.. I screwed  thru luan  thru foam board to steel ribs to attach base to attach any thing you desire to ceiling.   Do it your way!!!    Go to Action Upholstery Supply for Ideas.    They supply the boat and auto industry.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
treeplanter

the grey ghost,1971 GMC 5305A

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »

I am in the process of installing red cedar milled down to half inch thick by three and a half sealed with multiple coats of lacquer nailed and glued to plywood, it's easy to work with and has a beautiful color and is very light weight.

Timothy
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »

1/8" birch covered furniture grade plywood-will conform to the curved roof and is formaldehyde free. Then painted gloss white with 2" wide gloss varnished oak strips over the screw holes, with the oak strips screwed with brass colored square hole finish screws. Simple, and can access (take apart) anytime if needed. Cleans easily too. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: