Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 02:14:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at a bus, Thoughts?  (Read 3266 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »

Don't forget that according to the rules (I know there are stories of people who didn't get caught by the rules, but more stories of people who did) a bus later than 1972 must be in stock original condition to be imported to Canada.  You aren't supposed to be able to import converted buses.  Talking to a broker might help.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »

In the Minneapolis craigslist list there is a 1980 MCI fully converted with the usual 50k on the engine.  They want all of $14,900 for it, looks nice, would not wate much time converting for that price.

Chuck
1979 Prevost
Stillwater Mn

Here's the link to that bus Chuck...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/rvs/4075931190.html

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »

The Prevost on E bay Jon posted is a good example what happens with 30 years + old buses that guy should have walked away from that bus now he is just trying to recoup some cash he spent 19,000 grand for a engine in a 7500 dollar bus it makes no sense that one will never reach the starting bid much less the buy it now price  

15 years ago converting a used bus was about the only option if one wanted a bus conversion because of conversion prices it's not that way NOW cash is king    
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:30:19 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
rydrman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »

Thanks folks,

I should mention that I am living in Vancouver until December so a visit to Seattle is actually really convenient right now (which is part of the reason I'm looking at this coach). I do have my commercial ACZ license in Ontario so no issues there either.

Some of the conversions ads being posted look like a steal, but the conversion project is one of the parts I'm most looking forward to.

Maybe if I give a little more detail about my self it'll help the conversation...

I'm a 21 year old university student who has been crazy about buses since I knew what they were. Got my CDL the minute I turned 18 and started driving trucks part-time hoping to weasel my way behind the seat of a passenger coach. Right now I'm looking for a cheap coach that I can do a bare-bones conversion on over the next few years. I imagine that once I have a real career I'll sink some more money into a better bus for a higher quality conversion.

Right now I just want to find a bus that is structurally and mechanically sound and won't require any MAJOR repairs or maintenance over the next few 5-10 years.

The advice about corrosion is going to be super useful when I go to see it. Being from Ontario I've seen too many friends sink cash into a rust bucket only to have it fall apart at the seams later on.

Cheers!

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »

Once again Clifford is 100% DEAD ON THE $!

However if you must build your own bus I believe you can find a better base in that price range these days!

If it were me I'd take a good hard look @ the FREE 4104 listed here the other day!
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=26443.0

Shoot you could have it towed and rebuilt and on the road cheaper and faster than the MC9! (and it's already converted, and titled in CANADA!)

Id you insist on mooving forward with this bus I'd highly recommend you contact Mark Obtinario from WA state. He is a knowledgeable bus nut/driver/salesman (from another dealer, but he's honest and very willing to help other busnuts!) He is a member here and @ BNO and frequents BNO's page on facebook more than anything these days (I think)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/141126842574707/
Grin  BK  Grin
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »

I believe you might do better. Here's one example.

http://www.venture-motor.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=195062541

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »

I have a 68 Eagle worth looking at 40,000 takes it home

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
rydrman

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »

Just want to re-iterate that I'm not interested in buying an already converted coach

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »

Just want to re-iterate that I'm not interested in buying an already converted coach

Rydr,

I hear you on that, but IMHO, you should really reconsider. If you have 40K to put into a conversion, by all means do it yourself. However, if you buy a converted bus, you start with a lot more from the getgo. That doesn't mean you can't remodel it to your heart's content. However, you will need to buy tanks no matter what. You will have to buy a genset no matter what. You will have to buy an inverter, and the list goes on. Why not let somebody else buy those things, you cash in on it?

Again, you do it your way, but trust me. I have been in your shoes, and know what it is like. Take you best guess as to how much the conversion will cost, and then double that. Add about .75-1.00 per mile for fuel and maintenance, and you will be getting close. I really think, in the long run, you will be able to stretch your money farther with a pre-converted bus.

FWIW...Take that and $4.50, and you will be able to buy yourself a latte.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »

He won't have trouble finding a bus some of the people that sell buses and read this board are lining up to take his money then in a couple of years a gutted out bus will be for sale you guys gave him good advice what he does with it is up to him he sorta reminds me of my 21 year old grandson Roll Eyes

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »

We have all done what you want to do (some 2 or 3 times ) but that was then and this is now . You can always strip out an already done conversion down to the bones but at least you will have the parts to rebuild with . The reason the bus is for sale is it is warn out . Things that will need to be fixed  

1 tires    2 brakes   3 air bags    4 shocks   this is just the small stuff to make it drivable . next comes the big things eng. rebuild $ 10,000 to $20,000 if you do it at home and not on the road

This is some of the things I had to do and my bus  was only 15 years old when I started . The money I have in it now is way over 100 k . At this point it is a hobby because there is no way I could sell it for any thing close to that. The idea of the converted coach is that most of them that are 4 sale have already done this so all we are saying is if I could do it again I would start with 1 that has already been done and for me I would rip it down to the bones when I had the time and redo the way I wanted it . But for now all the big money has been spent by the old owner and is road ready so you could start using it while you do your own remodeling plans .

dave      

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:01:43 PM by sledhead » Logged

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »

We bought our coach for $7,000 cash as a seated coach. 1984 MCI 9 with a blue reman detroit in it (6v92 Turbo) and some new rubber. It had passed state inspection and was ready to go. $35,000 later we're still not completely done with it. So get a coach as CHEAP as possible (as long as the important stuff is good and solid, engine, tires, etc.) because the purchase price is nothing compared to the cost of converting it. But it's a fun process... I highly recommend self converting.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »

Quote from: Scott Bennett
So get a coach as CHEAP as possible (as long as the important stuff is good and solid, engine, tires, etc.) because the purchase price is nothing compared to the cost of converting it. But it's a fun process... I highly recommend self converting.

And OF COURSE THAT's nowhere close to what the costs are gonna be when it lays down somewhere unexpectedly either!
Grin  BK  Grin
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »

When  we bought our Eagle it was done ready to run down the highway and thats what we did. When I got home and winter had passed i really started looking at it hard. now like a said it was a nice bus, however most of the plumbing was old and dated so i change that, the carpet was old so we changed that so on and so on.
After 6 years of owning  the bus I have changed alot of things and spent a good chunk of change and time getting her they way we want it. and there is still things we want to change. we do our own work with the help of this board and the Eagle board. We are lucky we found a good bus with little to no rust good drive train and skin and paint. if I did it again I would do it the same. We enjoy our bus and only have to work on the things that we want to change. we don't have boat loads of money so we pay as we go. like most of the bus crazy poeple we know.
So all said and done do what best works for you and yours  Good luck as Cliffords say's and have fun

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »

Here's a candidate, if you don't mind driving a stick shift.  Engine has roughly 125 - 150 HP more than the MCI you posted about - better for climbing Rocky Top.  Partial conversion started, Canadian coach so re-importation might not be too much of a hassle.  Fairly reasonable price, tires alone will set you back $3K-$4K.  The Marathon was Prevost's version of the MC-9, without the cooling issues - an important consideration with the 92 series engine.  Birdcage chassis, fixing rust is like fixing an Eagle.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/rvs/4078011287.html

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: