Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 02:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RO... way to go?  (Read 990 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »

I've been full timing since 2007 and about 4 years ago invested in a Culligan 100 gal/day ro system.  Well it's time to replace the filters and membranes to the tune of about $300.  There are complete systems available in that price range.  I don't user 100 gal per day, but it's nice to replenish my fresh water tank in a day or so (never really got 100 gal/day throughput). 

Does any one use a ro system to fill their fresh water tank(s)? Not just on demand.  Any brands or models you can recommend.

p.s. It works great on the shower glass, etc.  And I can even rinse the bus with no streaks!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »

I had a drinking water R/O system in my last house and really liked it.  Never felt the need to have R/O water for showering or flushing toilets.  It was not a frugal system if you were paying for water - it would bypass about 10 times as much water as it filtered, right down the drain.  Not sure what I would do in your position - probably look for a better deal on the filters!  If you are not using the system to capacity, how do you know you need to replace all the filters?  My system was multi-stage and I only ever replaced the cheapest primary filter, and that only once in 6 years.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »

That system was worth the 300 bucks Doyle just filling the radiator on your Eagle a couple of times  Undecided that was nice just turning a hose on and not worrying with the jugs and funnels 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »

Yep, Clifford that was nice!  Gotta do it a time or two again.  I've got just water in there now and want to drain it, run fresh water with CLR until it heats up, dump that and fill with water and anti-freeze.  Don't know if I'll use pink, green, yellow or the new anti-oxidant green tea stuff.... hehehehehe!

Brian, thanks.   The filters and membrane have to be replaced because the throughput is down to a trickle and maybe makes only 10 gal per day now.  Sadly the Culligan's are proprietary and expensive.  There are others that will fit, but there almost as expensive. 

You're right it does waste a lot of water, but mostly on the road it waters trees at the rv park or discretely goes down the drain...oops!

The sites selling stuff to the home grown herb crowd have some 100/day ro systems for about $300 and I'm leaning towards one of those.  If that doesn't work out, I can always go back, hat in hand, to Culligan.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »

The Culligan name is probably half the cost. I bought a GE refrigerator some years back that had a small Culligan water filter inside back of fresh food section. GE recommended to change it every six months. The Culligan filters were $25.00 each! By passed it with a whole house water filter for less and it'll last a couple of years with much much cheaper filter cartridges. Try the alternative. I thought I saw thatLowes sells something for that use too.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:55:32 AM »

HD would probably have the same ones in G.E. Grin

Dave5Cs

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:07:08 PM »

Nice thing was that GE supplied a bypass plug with the refer when new.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »

Interesting thread. We installed an RO system in our coach when we started full-timing. We love it immensely. Yummy water from our fridge water and icemaker. But it's only connected to the fridge. I'd love to get a 100 gal/day system and do exactly what you're doing. No more water spots on shower glass, no more buildup around bathroom sink drain, no more buildup rings in toilet...that's awesome.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »

Scott,

Have you considered a water softener? We got one from Camping World over a year ago and installed it permanently between the fresh water hose and the fresh water inlet. Our plumbing system also allows us to fill the fresh water tank through the softener. Probably not as good as a RO system, but it sure helps with the problems you describe. However, we do not live in our bus full time, so I haven't had to recharge it yet. The softener came with a test kit to tell when it needs recharging and recharging appears to be quite simple.
Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »

Hi Sam, yes we've considered it. Interestingly enough, where we are parked at the moment has softened water. It's a $3000 twin tank system (I've seen it) and it works good but still leaves water spots. Not sure if that's leftover salt or what, but yeah, not spot free totally. But definitely takes care of the rust and iron issues. Incidentally, I've read that the best system includes a softener and then an RO system after the softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: