Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 02:07:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is what I want... but the bus is in Israel  (Read 2728 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »

I don't think bus windows get shot at any more than other windows. When I had my Courier 96, it had large sky-view windows. I had inside and outside covers for them to keep cool. A powerful A/C system helps too. Nice and  bright on a cool day. Keeping them from leaking was a constant concern.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »

Stacie, Mine is probably not what you are looking for but it is for sale.  I just bought a new couch for it and am ripping all the carpet out of it now. It could have any floor you wanted.

Don
SkellBell
Solo looking for fulltime rig

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »

Don - can you post a link to pics to your bus?
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »

Stacie. First off! Thanks for your service. (Now the welcome) Welcome to the Board! Smiley. What is your bus budget? This will help us Busnuts to help keep an eye peeled for a suitable buy for you. We are spread far and wide and many of us would be glad to help in any way we can to help point ya in the right direction.  Wink So ask tons of questions, and feel free to post any links to you may find. Smiley

All the Best!
   Van Cool

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:57:18 AM by Van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »

I stand by all I have written.  I'm just sorry Jim has a short memory.

But WTF, it doesn't really matter to me.  I just try to help the newbies.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 05:49:51 PM »

Stacie,

Honestly, even though there are family levels of dysfunction on this board, it really is a family and I can honestly say that everyone here is really trying to give you good solid advice. You'll have to sift through it and determine your course of action, but do carefully read everyone's response (the relevant ones) because buying a coach isn't just something that can be done on a whim. There is a lot more at stake than if you were buying a Honda Civic (to keep it personal for ya). A bus that hasn't been built properly will give you grief to the point you'll be sorry you ever bought it. If it's not been mechanically maintained and just mostly ignored, it could literally be unsafe for you and others on the road. At the same time, your taste for lots of natural light and windows is important and there is no reason you can't have a lot of windows and light. If someone shoots them out with a BB gun, shoot back with an AR-15 and the problem will go away  Cool  That being said, are you planning on living in the coach full-time? Just traveling occasionally? Camping trips? Do you have a family? Do you plan on boondocking and parking the bus where there may not be sewer/power/water or do you think you'll always find an RV park to stay at with all the amenities and hookups? Is your budget flexible? Do you want to do any of the conversion yourself or do you want a completed bus? Sorry for all the questions, but if you get back to us with the answers to some of them, I know we can be of much more specific help Smiley  Welcome! You'll learn to love it here!

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »

I personally think that is one neat conversion who ever did the conversion had the work cut out for him I like the way he incorporated the transit floors into the conversion we all fly different but that bus is nicely done 

The FF bus I have no idea I never saw it and could care less but he has owned it for a long,long time plus being retired from air line industry he probably has the coins to do what ever he wants so the bus must meet his needs it is your choice not ours

good luck
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:26:33 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »

Stacie,

I admire anyone who can make a good-looking conversion from a low-floor transit bus, or any type of bus that's different than the usual MCI/Eagle/GM/Prevost/etc that's more common here.   Sure, there's plenty of difficulties to overcome when dealing with lack of, or very limited, under-floor space for tanks and batteries and whatnots, but sometimes the results can justify the work.   As folk have said, you first have to decide on the basic criteria you need (boondocking?   weekending?   full-timing?   driving a lot, or parked most of the time?), then find what best meets your needs.   If it's different than what's "normal", so be it, just as long as it works for you.   Isn't that why we are spending so much time and effort on our conversions, because ready-made RVs just don't give us what we need?

Lostranger on the Nomadicista forum is converting a low-floor Gillig for his wife and him to full-time in, and some folk here have high-floor transits for which they built under-floor tanks and storage.   I'm converting a Crown rear-engine school bus for self-contained boondocking or full-timing, complete with plenty of solar panels on the roof to give me all the electrons I can use  -  for my needs a tough, simple(ish), high-ground-clearance bus is ideal, and a fancier type of bus would not be so useful for me.

Back to the Israeli bus  -  I like it!   I especially like the open airy feel to it, but how do they manage the plumbing?   It's definitely one to add to my collection of conversion favorites.   Even Reddog's Thomas has some good ideas I could "borrow".

John
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:12:02 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
SkellBell

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:52 AM »

I am single (divorced 25 years "It's ok to make a mistake; it's not ok to make the same mistake twice."). 12 Brothers and Sisters plus stepbro and sis.  26 nieces and nephews and 41 first cousins - all of whome I know well.  Dad was a lawyer.  Mom a nurse.  Step mom still alive at 92 with all her faculties.  75% of immediate family still lives in Northern NJ.

Joined the Navy at 18 and after first stint at a rag outfit (A-6 squadron) in VaBeach transferred to the Reserves.   Break in service from 1994-2002 working for high tech companies as Operations Mgr.  Returned to the Reserves with Navy Cargo Handlers then back to a C-9 squadron.   Mobilzed as enlisted Aircrew spending 1/2 my time OCONUS.  I made Chief in 2007, Senior Chief in 2011.  In my civilian life I have worked as both public and private companies and educational iinstitutions and taught Microsoft Office products for 20 years.  I have traveled by myself thru 49 states including Alaska and all of Canada except Nunavut (1987 Honda Civic CRX Si) including the Dempster Hywy. Backpacked 13 countries in Europe. 6 weeks roving the Martime provinces on the Labrador 500 in a Saturn and 3 months mix of driving and mass transit thru Southern Africa including a VW Beetle Rally.  3 weeks in Egypt alone and 3 weeks in Cambodia using the nephew of an embassy driver cause the military defense attache didnt want an enlisted solo female traveling alone - so I hired the nephew as my "buddy".  Last trip in 2009 after demobing from 3 year mobilization was 2 months Mexico and Guatemala in the Saturn.  It was to be 6 months to Panama and back but ID and Drivers Licence pickpocketed day before Easter so returned home.  My military OCONUS activities are now somewhat restricted so driving a bus lets me continue traveling - now with all my stuff

My present car, the 91 CRX, has had the engine, radiator, breaks and clutch all replaced in the last year. All paid in cash.  I am a good saver.

I have spent almost 6 months of this past year at varous active duty locations teaching PREVENT (Personal Responsibility Values Education and Training) to 18-24 year olds and various other leadership and soft skill Miltary classes. I am also the National Ops for CPPD Reserves  mobile training teams which I perform on drills from home.  I have 23 years total service/almost 10 of that on Active Duty.  I can stay until I hit 26 years unless I make Master Chief before then which lets me stay until 30 years (30 May 2020/age 58).  Because of active duty time in support of OEF/OIF I get to receive retirement pay at age 59. Since I am not betting on living past 72ish I will take Social Security at 62.

I now have $20k and continue to save as I expect an average $5k per year in repair/ maintenance costs. I have read several of the RV books and cruised the various forums for the past year and a half while saving my pennies. I started looking at TT then Class B's and A's.  Never considered 5th wheels (too big and complicated as a solo).  Most RV's mfg shoddy and design layouts tailored to families not solo fulltimer.  The safety and designs of homebrewed buses including the huge basements (thrift store afficianado) came closest to my taste and needs.   I prefer a 35 foot automatic.  I do not cook nor plan to start.  Optimally has a microwave and 2 burner stove top.  Stove not necessary.  Water tanks to support an 18" apt dishwasher, and a stackable washer dryer (not splendide) - both used one per week.  Solar to support boondocking.  I intend to full-time (with 2 cats- litter box access in heated basement), parking the bus on military campgounds, and extensive boondocking.  My family is in Jersey so I will spend holidays there then head south after New Years so bus must be able to handle the cold. I will tow the CRX which gets 32 mpg.

My only bills at this time are liability insurance for the Car, $850 rent (same landlord off and on for 20 years) plus $300 electric per year, No cable as I don't watch TV exceptcon my phone or laptop so $180 per month for Verizon (true unlimited) cellphone and laptop Broadband card. 50% disability (only received when I am not on active duty) and all Medical including RX provided by VA. I take VIT D3 10K units per day. 

Have I left anything out? Navy Chiefs don't usually use so many I's but I'm owning it all.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:51:20 AM by SkellBell » Logged
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »

Geez. You're awesome. That's all I have to say. Pardon me for a moment while I pick up my jaw........

Ok. Personally, it's clearly apparent that whatever you do, you'll do it successfully. You're clearly a go getter so in my opinion you'll have fun adding a bus to your already awesome life. If you fulltime, your $850 /mo rent goes away. Most rv parks and campgrounds will cost much less than that. We've full timed for 2.5 years and have never even once paid more than $350 per mo on rent. That being said, it sounds like you definitely want a coach with luggage bays so a transit like the gorgeous or you posted in Israel isn't going to be practical, but there isn't any reason you can't get a normal (non transit) bus to look like that. Lots of windows and modern design are possible in an MCI or eagle or anything for that matter. If I were in your shoes, I would look online for a coach alreAdy converted (as you indicated you wanted to do) and then make some modifications to suit your needs. If you find one you like, run it by the bus board. There are some top notch people here that can help steer you right. Cliff (luvrbus) is a talented resource as well as others. Craigslist has some great buses online too. Seen some nice stuff on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:14 AM »

I've been following this thread because the bus in the original post really appeals to me too, from a design point-of-view. And I think (water tanks and storage apart) a low-floor transit should be by-far the easiest conversion you can do - just a big square box on wheels, with plenty of headroom, flat surfaces and right-angles. It's tempting to think that you could end up with a passable conversion by doing little more than making a few trips to Ikea.

And, last of all, low-floor transits are incredibly cheap - there are perfectly good mid 1990s examples on UK Ebay for a couple of grand, and older ones that are priced in hundreds rather than thousands.

The major down-side for me, though, would be the driving capabilities of a vehicle like that - fine if your traveling involves pottering along from town-to-town without any schedule or agenda, but no good if your time is limited and your holiday destination is hundreds of miles away.

Jeremy

PS - Spotted this articulated Mercedes on Ebay - built in 2003 and with a buy-it-now of 8995. You could have a nice conversion inside that:

PPS. Years ago I saw a bus conversion for sale that had the water tanks on the roof. Not necessarily suggesting it's a good idea, but it would be one solution on a low-floor bus

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »

Hey SkellBell. Wow!  First, Thanks for your service and I'm sure you are the envoy of many to have such vast travels.  Bet you have some fun stories!  Not much to add, but we have a couple of other female bus nuts here you may want to say hello to.

in this thread:
   http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=16845.0

ABart

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »

Stacie:

I saw your post on IRV this morning, and I am glad that you made it over here.   One thing to consider is you will have access to all of the military campgrounds as you move around the country. Allstays has a free App that lists them.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »

I remember back in the 70's, I had a converted '62 Ford Econoline that I lived in up in Alaska.  I met and knew a lot of people, and regarding this subject, I knew a single gal who wanted a VW Micro-bus with lots of windows My van had walls.  I asked her why she wanted windows instead of privacy, and all she could say is she liked it. Okay.

My current RTS bus has half the windows covered over between the living room and bedroom.  This cost me a lot of money.  The covered areas contain the kitchen, table, ceiling height closets, and the bathroom with a 36" shower.  The bedroom in the far back has opening windows which we appreciate on hot nights.

I cannot see giving away the privacy that I would lose having windows all the way down the bus, curtains would not work.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
SkellBell

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 03:22:11 AM »

Geoff and I spoke about his bus which because of the skylights produces enormous light. Still deciding.
http://www.bargainbusnews.com/Buses/5870-1965MCIMC5-A/

I personally have no discomfort at using blinds/shades, curtains, or even better Window Film to provide privacy when I need it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:35:56 AM by SkellBell » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: