Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:25:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windshield wipers  (Read 724 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »

A few months ago i started a thread about replacing my air windshield wipers to electric on a MCI-8 and I now I can't find it.  However, some members suggested using replacements off of certain school buses and certain trucks, but were never model/year specific...and where to buy.

If you read this and can supply some information, please reply...Thanks!
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »

I'm in the same boat.....the thread was about using the electric wipers from any flat front style school bus. Should be able to find these at a junk yard that has school buses.  I think Clifford was the one to point us in that direction so deserves the credit.

Bruce

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

If you can't find what you want used, here's three companies selling new parts for school buses:
http://www.schoolbuspartsco.com/WebPages/a_wiper_pages/windshieldwipers.htm
http://nationwidebusparts.com/images/20110127-wipers.pdf
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=118
I bought some wet wiper arm tubing whotsits from TAC, and their prices and shipping were good.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
zimmysurprise
"Flight Risk" Don and Charlie Zimmerman 1978 GM PD-4108 Chardon,Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »

-I saw your request for suggestions on switching over from air to electric wipers but didn't respond right away because I was knee deep in swapping mine at the time and I didn't know if it would work or not. My right side air for my GM needed rebuilt, the only quote I got was 400 bucks that seemed to be better spent on a different plan. My father had a 1990 E-One fire engine that he bought for parts, so i stole the motors, hardware and switches to see if I could make them work on my 4108.
-It took me 3 hours to get the parts out of the fire truck so I wasn't too hopeful. But when I got home, I couldn't believe it. I pulled off the fiberglass cowl and held the wipers in position outside the bus. After checking the arc of the blade, I marked the windshield with a sharpie marker, then went inside the dash and measured down to where the motor shaft should be positioned. I only had to move one copper air line to make room for the new motor, and it was for the air operated control. I drilled 3 holes and installed it in 45 minutes. The bus is 24v, so I grabbed a spare 12v battery and hot wired the wiper. Worked like a charm.
-I did the same for the driver's side, but it was behind the dash so space was a little bit tight. I repeated the process, and had both motors and wiper arms installed in less time than it took me to remove the old ones. Obviously, I have some wiring to do to finish the job. I already have a 30amp 24v to12v converter that will run one, or maybe both. The firetuck wipers are 18", but I spaced them to accommodate 22" blades which will cover pretty well. I suggest solving your problem the creative way. Not sure what your MCI dash looks like but maybe start by looking there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: