Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:14:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VS2 Shifter solenoid wiring  (Read 1195 times)
Sipapu

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »

Hi all!  It's been a while since I've been on.  I completed my trip from Oregon to Florida in record time of 3.5 months.  I think I'm lucky to have made it at all - several things gave up when I finally got here. Bad weather has prevented me from getting to work on her until now (GM T8H-5305a).

The photos attached are of the solenoid that makes the shifter arm on the transmission go into forward or reverse.  These are new solenoids from Luke.  One mounts on each side of the shifter arm. The ones I replaced were severely corroded and wired together somehow that just doesn't make sense - I don't know how they worked at all.

Common sense tells me that each solenoid should have a power side (from the driver's toggle switch) and a ground, but that is not how it was wired and my attempt at wiring this way caused the wiring to overheat - all the way to the ignition switch!  I have 2 wires coming from the engine compartment electrical box - one from a relay marked 'Transmission Relay' - (I think, but there are only 2 relays on the back wall of the electrical diagram and 3 in the actual box); the other wire comes from a newer, clear plastic relay or switch and is just marked 'receptacle' on the diagram (or not marked at all).  I am assuming these two wires are the power side?

Finally, my question:  How is this wired?  It did have one of the wires from the engine compartment going to one solenoid and the other to the second solenoid.  If this is correct - should I then find a ground for the other side of each?

I hope this makes sense to someone - and thanks in advance.  I can't find any wiring diagram for this in any of my books.

Rick

New owner - 1969 GMC T8H5305a-020
This is the bus Sandra Bullock did NOT trash in the movie, Speed
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

VS service manual?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »

It is fairly easy #22 breaker has a wht/blk wire going to the shift lever switch,then a dark grn #18 goes to the transmission relay (soleniod) then a brn/wht to a plug from there a black wire to the neutral solenoid 

There is a blk/wht that goes from transmission relay to to a breaker for the rear start be sure it is wired correctly for safety reasons if the rear start is wired wrong or in the start postion they will not engage in forward or reverse 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »

VS service manual?

I have the GM Coach Maintenance Manual - is that the same?

Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »

It is fairly easy #22 breaker has a wht/blk wire going to the shift lever switch,then a dark grn #18 goes to the transmission relay (soleniod) then a brn/wht to a plug from there a black wire to the neutral solenoid 

There is a blk/wht that goes from transmission relay to to a breaker for the rear start be sure it is wired correctly for safety reasons if the rear start is wired wrong or in the start postion they will not engage in forward or reverse 

good luck

I have my book open and trying to follow you - but I'm having trouble...

#22 breaker has a wht/blk wire going to the shift lever switch - #22 junction or breaker?  In the engine compartment, I only have 8 breakers
In my photos - is that called a shift lever switch?  There are 2 of them - sorry, maybe I'd better read this tomorrow when I can look again.  I'm dumber'n I look.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »

The VS2 manual won't do you much good for the wiring that is is a OEM responsibility I'll dig my Gm manual out Sunday and try to help you out.

If it starts from the front and won't engage take a close look at the rear start it is a simple circuit if it has the original wiring  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:25:05 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »

The Vh2 manual won't do you much good for the wiring that is is a OEM responsibility I'll dig my Gm manual out Sunday and try to help you out.

If it starts from the front and won't engage take a close look at the rear start it is a simple circuit if it has the original wiring   

Thank you! Much.

treeplanter

the grey ghost,1971 GMC 5305A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »

Did you try reversing the solenoids, had a similar problem on my 5305A.

Timothy
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »

Rick,

Glad to hear you are back. Would you do us a favor, and type up a quick trip report? I am curious as to your final total for what you have spent on your bus, how long things took you, where you were broke down, who were the major players in getting you going. Were you happy with your purchase, or do you regret it?

That kind of thing. I would read it for sure!

Thanks,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 06:39:30 AM »

Did you try reversing the solenoids, had a similar problem on my 5305A.

I haven't re-wired enough yet to reverse it. I tried to duplicate the original wiring with a photo I took (I'll post below), but it was badly mangled and just couldn't make sense of it.  These are new ones from Luke, but who knows - I may have fried them. I tried putting 12v and a ground directly from a battery to see if I could get a 'click' or anything, but they also have an air component that is required (when installed).

Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:44 AM »

Rick,

Glad to hear you are back. Would you do us a favor, and type up a quick trip report? I am curious as to your final total for what you have spent on your bus, how long things took you, where you were broke down, who were the major players in getting you going. Were you happy with your purchase, or do you regret it?

That kind of thing. I would read it for sure!

Thanks,

John

Yes, I will. I am still happy to own the bus. When running, it is a joy to go down the road.  The mistakes were (mostly) mine.  I think you could take Technomadia's methods as a how-to, and mine as a how-not-to. Both in the purchase and rebuild. I will start a new thread on this later today.

Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 05:43:25 AM »

The VS2 manual won't do you much good for the wiring that is is a OEM responsibility I'll dig my Gm manual out Sunday and try to help you out.

Luvrbus, where you able to find anything for me?  I am at a loss trying to wire this thing. Any help would sure be appreciated. Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 05:54:00 AM »

Only thing I can find is for the T6H -5310A -5309A I don't know if it is same maybe one of the GM guys can tell us if it works I can mail the schematics to you
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:00:10 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 08:39:01 AM »

Only thing I can find is for the T6H -5310A -5309A I don't know if it is same maybe one of the GM guys can tell us if it works I can mail the schematics to you

Yes, please - rick@abstractusa.com .  If I could see any wiring diagram for the shifter ram on any model, I think I could figure it out.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:18:17 PM by Sipapu » Logged

Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »

In re-reading this, I wasn't too clear. I have the two original wires coming from the rear electrical compartment. I'm reasonably sure that one each goes to one side of each solenoid (skinner valve?), and these are connected to the 3 position toggle switch in drivers area (f n r).  But where does the other side of each solenoid connect?  I tried to ground this side, but almost burnt up the wiring.  I am at a complete loss. If anyone knows the correct names for the air shifter? And two solenoids?, I can narrow my search a little.

Thanks!

Rick

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: