Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 03:17:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Base  (Read 2301 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:46:47 AM »

Well getting a start on a home base for Coffee's Magic Bus.  It was a mudder yesterday so they will have to wait on the Galvalume for the roof and left side.  The neighbor furnished the view of the meadow.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »

I am so glad I bought a MCI, You Eagle guys have to build a garage for your's must be because of the Rust, LOL Grin

Dave5Cs

Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »

Doyle;

I believe you will find that a "Bus Barn" (sorry Coffee) is one of the best things you could do not only for the Eagle but for you. I don't know how I'd have been able to do all the things to my GM that we've done without a real facility. I know all the work you've done on your rig and it will be nice to give it a just reward.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »

Yep Mickey he is doing OK for a mooch lol I had to say that Doyle, I don't see my parking cover anywhere ? but that is OK as long as you pay at the steakhouse it is worth a trip to Carmine just to eat

Some bus nut have 2 facilities to work on their buses Mickey and Doyle do   Grin
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:57:10 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »

Dave, all the steel came primed with a special Eagle "rust" tint!

Mike, you're so right... getting it out of the sun will be great.

.... I don't see my parking cover anywhere ? but that is OK as long as you pay at the steakhouse it is worth a trip to Carmine just to eat

Clifford, No cover, but always a spare 50amp service and always a great chicken fried steak at JW's waiting with your name on it!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »

Clifford,

You wouldn't need a cover here in Utah. I'd move the "Red Rider" outside for as long as you might need space. Sorry, I don't have anywhere near the tools you do but you'd be welcome to the ones I have.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »

Looking good Doyle - I'm jealous.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »

You guys hit on my favorite subject  GARAGE,, I had a 40' X 60' heavy metal garage built with 14' X 14' doors and a 7" min concrete floor  with 4,000 lb mix with rebar and fiber mesh, only took 72 yards plus 24 yards for the entrance slab.
Very pleased with the quality of workmanship, finish etc.  Now I park the RV in it, and spend half the day in it doing paper work and napping.  Grin
At 71, things take a different angle.
50 amp service and Directv dish on roof, water etc.  Never over 80 nor under 55f. Soft life.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:39:56 PM by wg4t50 » Logged

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Liberty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »

Nice dog house for Coffee.
We built a 30 x 50 16' side wall 'shop'.
It is not that Eagle owners need to stay out of the rain it is just that after the smooth ride to get there why rough it and tough it out in to weather.
Ours is near our daughter and family so it is nice to have weather Kansas seems to get the rough weather.
LeRoy
Liberty a 1967 Eagle 01
8V71 Allison 740
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »

Here's the Galvalume up

Gotta do more base work, then a concrete slab.

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »

Doyle, the garage looks great.   

How deep is you install the steel posts in concrete or did you pour piers with metal bolt pads?   Did you have someone engineer your side loads against wind?  Just curious to see the wind rating.   
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:13:42 AM »

It's galvalume, if it gets too windy it'll ventilate itself  Cheesy

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:16:51 AM »

The piers are 6' x 12" augered holes with a 18"x18"x6"' cap formed at the top. Filled with concrete and 1/2 rebar  Imbedded are 1/2" steel plate 12"x12" welded to J-bolts that are 1/2" x 24" rebar.  Columns are 4x4x1/4" square tubing with 4 beads of weld to the 12"x12" plates.

It's not engineered except by a couple of neighbors that say "Yep, that ought to work."  That's the way it's done here Grin Grin

It's surrounded on 3 sides with some pretty dense 30' cedars so I'll keep my eyes crossed for good luck. 

Okay, now let every expert chime in..... that's no way to build a martini!

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »

It'll never work.  First big snowfall and down she goes.

You heard it here first. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »

Does it freeze where you are?  Up here, if we poured a cap like that on top of the column the first winter would lift it about an inch out of the ground, but if it doesn't freeze you should have no issues.  We either pour in sono tube 6" to a foot above ground level minimum, or stop the column 6" underground and imbed a galvanized post or something.  As you say, the aluminum siding will self-ventilate   Grin  and the posts will still be there in the morning.  Nice to see a new bus home!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: