Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:29:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking brake does not release all the time  (Read 3133 times)
uturn

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »

I have a 1977 p8m4905a. The parking brakes wont release every time. When its cold or after all air is leaked out, About a day. The brakes will blow off the relay. The brakes will release after some time. I turned up the compressor governor. The cut out was 120 psi. I turned it to 135 cut out. The dash gauge is accurate. I replaced all the rear brake valves. The LQ2,R8 double checks and chambers and hoses. The book claims there is a standby valve that is a tr3. I have 3 tr3's on the back. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks, David..
opus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »

Sounds like a brake stuck to the drums?

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »

Check the regulator they require 85 lbs max to set anything over 85 lbs the DD3 can be a bear to release

Life is short drink the good wine first
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »

Hi David,

That happens to me once in a while. After releasing the parking brake, I just push my service

brakes all the way to the floor then release and the parking brake will also release.

Must be something hanging up be this helps in a pinch.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
uturn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. Where is the regulator at? I have bled the air off to 60 psi before and set the brake with the same results. I have tried a full foot application to release the brakes and that doesn't work. The brakes release on their own with out it. But when they don't, I try that also. Once they release the first time they will release every time until it sits a day or so. I'm taking it to a shop this week that has a pit to look for the standby valve that is shown in the manual. It states that the valve is related to the foot application valve and sends air to the parking relay valve. I haven't tried it since I turned up the governor on the compressor. That will be tomorrow. Thanks again. David..
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

David -

First, you don't need the system pumped up to 135 psi.  It's designed to work at 120 - 125.  So back that off.

Second, what type of rear brake cans do you have on your Buffalo?  Are there two or three air lines going to them?  Some coaches came with DD3s, others of that vintage came with spring brakes.  Makes a difference in the release procedure.

Let us know what you've got so we can better help you.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »

I try to set my DD3 no more than 1/3-1/2 foot pedal so they are easy to release, never push all the way.

Mine usually release on their own when I push in the knob if I wait a few seconds.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »

David & Gus -

As a former coach operator instructor, here's the proper procedure for setting and releasing the parking brake:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=26449.msg290100#msg290100

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
uturn

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

RJ, Thanks for the input. I have 3 lines going to my brake chambers. I looked in the manual about the air pressure and it reads that the cut out pressure should read on the dash gauge 123 to 131 psi. It was cutting out right at 120. And the cut in was about 90 psi. The book reads it should be between 102 and 108. Now it is cutting in at about 103. I released them today after building up air from zero to 135 and they released right away. I will turn it back down a little after I return from the shop tomorrow. I am going to replace the front service valve although it is still working it looks like it has never been replaced. And I'm going to look for the standby valve that is supposed to be in the front area somewhere. The manual reads that the standby valve relays pressure to the parking valve after you have applied foot valve.  I am by no means an expert on this bus. I drove trucks for 27 years and have had to rig blown chambers and air leaks to get me home before. A dime in the air line and backing off the brake and so on. This is a totally new thing for me. Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming. David..
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »

RJ,

I don't really understand pushing the service brake all the way and holding it when mine release 99% of the time with no SB use at all?

What am I missing here?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »

Gus -  when RJ came out to teach us the ins and outs of buses we found that when we pushed the brake pedal all the way down and held it - we had a leaky treadle valve that needs repair.  I believe the answer to your question is to check and make sure that all air lines will hold at maximum pressure for 3-5 seconds.

(What say you RJ?  Did I actually learn something from your 3 day course Wink )

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »

Makes sense!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
uturn

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »

Well I took it to the shop and looked for the standby valve. No where to be found underneath the front end. The brakes have been releasing and I turned down the governor to about 125 psi. I checked the foot valve and did hear a leak at a full application. Could this affect the parking release? It always has released with out the foot pedal before. I will get the foot valve replaced soon though. Not much of a leak and only when the pedal hits the floor. Thanks for all the help and replies.  David..
uturn

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »

Well I had the foot valve replaced today and the parking brake still wants to stick. Not all the time though. The mechanic at the bus shop told me that he has seen a lot of buses, Most of them MCI.s that had the governor set at 140 psi because the brakes wouldn't release below that. It is hit and miss with this bus. I was wondering if a heated air dryer would help. I have a dryer on the bus and it works fine. But there isn't a wire going to it, So I would guess it isn't heated. In cold weather is when it is the hardest to release. Not real cold weather either. I'm in Florida and below 60 degrees it sticks. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks, David.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »

I have mine set at 118, that what both my books say and it releases  every time.
Maybe pull the push-pull valve apart and either replace o rings or at least lube them up with non rubber type grease.
Are the rollers in the cans worn or the "s" Cams.
Dave5Cs

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: