Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 08:52:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: air brake anti-freeze container  (Read 1046 times)
steve5B

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »

Where would this container be located or is there one   1976-MCI 5B? I
have noticed a small silver container on the engine Bulk head area.

Could that be it ? There are what looks like lines to it. I hate to ask questions
that might seem simple to everyone, but I know NOTHING about buses!

Thanks again,

Steve 5B

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:41:55 AM »

Got a digital camera?

Time to learn the fine skills of picture posting!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:11:13 AM »

The alcohol injector on a 5B should look like a paint sprayer container. It is an aluminum can that screws into the supported top. The top casting should have an air line going in and one going out. It also works like a paint sprayer in that air flow through the unit sucks alcohol out of the container into the discharge line. HTH.
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:45:21 AM »

Stan, Buswarrior.

Thanks for the info, Stan your right on the money. The container has the shape of a paint sprayer. Hopefully
my air tanks will not freeze now. The one concern was the one between the front wheels. 

I'v drained the tank several times, their's always water in there.   Maybe this will fix the problem!

Thanks alot!

Steve 5B.

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 09:46:54 AM »

Hello Steve 5B.

See my long post on the tag axle thread on tank draining.

If you always get water, you either don't have an air dryer, which means you need to drain frequently, or your air dryer desicant has long ago worn out and is not trapping moisture the way it should. 

If you are operating in freezing temps, you might want to consider an air dryer retrofit. A great improvement to an old coach. Get one from the wrecking yard near you.

Inline to the wet tank, has to be some mileage of pipe away from the compressor, so it doesn't get fed hot air, run an electric wire for the built in heater and you'll be quite happy.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 08:16:15 AM »

Highly recommend that you install an air dryer.  Bendix AD-IS is the new choice now.  I order all our new trucks (Freightliner) with air dryers.  Not only does it keep the air system from freezing, but extends the life of the components since most of the rubber parts don't like water, and of course the metal parts can rust.  You won't regret it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »

I have a "moisture ejector valve" on my 4108 that gets rid of the wet and dry tank water. It seems to not be an air dryer, AFAIK, since there's no dessicant with it. I don't know if these are better or worse than a dryer. There's also an alcohol container that I keep filled most of the time (I don't worry about it as much in the summer).

My discharge muffler picks up 90% of the liquid... water and oil.  Downstream of the ejector valve, there's never water in my system, but too much oil... so I sense a compressor rebuild or replacement in my very near future. Along with a rear axle oil seal, but that's another story.

Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: