Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 02:01:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air line from Compressor to drier  (Read 804 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »

Last connection for my project..  Prevost has Teflon line with stainless steel braid at least 11 ft long before Air drier. I want to relocate air drier to engine compartment for convenience.  Any problem with that?  What should I use for Supply line? The reason I was told Teflon was high temperature of discharge air from compressor. One area a day is my goal to button up.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »

I have found that the line from the compressor to the dryer must be at least  6 feet long and mounted to achieve a continuous downward angle to the dryer.>>>Dan  ( American Coach uses Aeroquip aircraft stainless.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:30:15 AM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »

Bob,Prevost mounts the AD-9  12 ft from the compressor ( 10 ft min) the AD-9 needs to be mounted away from any heat source, yours if a Prevost setup will probably have the turbo cutoff valve on the AD-9 to keep from drawing the boost away from the engine and prevent the nice little codes from flashing  

We were told in the Bendix school the longer the run to the dryer up to 16 ft the better it was on the dryer it creates a cooling affect before the dryer  

good luck
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:07:21 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »

Now that makes sense. I can understand that! The drier can go rite back where it was in front of the wet tank. With the long supply line.  Was just trying to make my re-plumbing and future maintenance job easier. I know why not to fool with it now! I sure hope others learn something from my questions and I'm not the only one that wonders why the powers to be do things like they do.        I do remember things when they are explained to me.      I did notice the air intake for compressor was thru intake manifold and wondered how that would affect boost sensor. Just figured someone was smarted than I when they allowed for that or compressor need was a less than1% of total flow.   Life is good.   Thanks   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:38:19 AM »

It's all about cooling Robert. Hot air can hold a lot of moisture so to increase the effectiveness of the air dryer and remove moisture more effectively if the heated compressed air can be allowed to cool the dryer will be able to capture more moisture. Nothing says you cannot put it in a bay.

As far as service, I only do mine when I am under there for other reasons also, such as when I grease it so locating it beneath the coach doesn't pose a problem. I question the need to always run the line downhill. On my 97 the dryer was mounted high up on the frame, passenger side above the height of the compressor. I never had moisture in any of my air system with the exception of a spoon full in the wet tank from time to time.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »

Bob, on my H3 the air line out of the compressor is about 3 feet long.  It is made by Parker Teflon/braided.   It is connected to a solid line (it looks like stainless) that runs forward to the Haldex air dryer.   The dryer is mounted ahead of the driver side drive wheel at the same level as the wet tank.   Front the dryer to the wet tank it's about 2 feet.   
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »

The MCI's have a "ping tank" or discharge muffler on the fire wall about three feet from the compressor.  It's nothing more than a piece of 1 1/2" iron pipe capped at both ends with an input down low, output up high and a drain at the bottom.  Smooths out the compression hits from the compressor and gives a place for the oil and water to condense.  Teflon flex line to the ping tank, hard line from there forward to the air dryer.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »

Eagles have a copper cooling loop on the discharge line to take some of the heat away before the drier.  This is a good space saving option if the drier has to be installed near the compressor.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »

Eagles have a copper cooling loop on the discharge line to take some of the heat away before the drier.  This is a good space saving option if the drier has to be installed near the compressor.

My bus has "accordion pleat" cooling fins on the metal pipe for about 8 feet of its run; there are a number of ways to make this work but the big thing is to cool that compressed charge down (as others have said).  While you're at it, pull the connector at the compressor and look for carbon in the line; they sometime will get coated with oil and then the heat will carbonize the oil.  It can build up to be a significant constriction.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: