Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: board popups  (Read 1410 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:18:26 PM »

Are you guys getting pop up ads to the left and right of the board as you read or post text.  I'm getting Bonjovi ads, motor home ads, insurance ads, all kinds of stuff that constantly loads and renews as I'm reading forum text or right now as I am typing.  It has made the board 1/2 its normal size to accommodate the ads on the left and right.
It even stops my typing as I enter text.

If you guys don't have it then I have some malware.  I downloaded "Malwarbytes" to remove a bunch of stuff, but these ads keep rolling by.
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »

It's definitely my computer.  I get the same stuff at BNO and Eagles International.  Gotta figure out how to get rid of this.  I can hardly type a word.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »

I get ads on the right side and at the bottom but they don't take up much room. Get them on BNO too.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »

David & Ed -

What browser are you two using?

I use FireFox with the "Ad Blocker" plug-in - rarely, rarely see any pop-up ads.  On all three PCs plus my laptop, WinXPPro w/ SP3.

I like Malwarebytes, too!  Run it once a week. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

I don't see them. I use Chrome.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 05:24:33 AM »

I don't see them. I use Chrome.   

I use Firefox.  I get them. but they're typically a column down the left side less than 1 1/2" inches wide.  Kinda like ads in a newspaper - after I read the paper, if you ask me if there were any ads, I'd say "Ummm, I dunno -- I'll have to go back and look".

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:26:11 AM »

Same for me as for Bruce except mine are on the right and i don't pay attention to them either.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »

I don't pay attention to them and if it helps pay the bills on the board thats good to

dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »

They are there with my Firefox but doesn't bother me. I click on um a lot for info about products.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »

I get them too, with Firefox.  They are usually about something that I have searched for recently, or related to a post.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 08:51:52 AM »

I get the pop ups to right and the bottom using FireFox nothing with Chrome or IE

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

Up in the right corner of the ad is an arrow.

Click on it and you can opt out of the ads.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

If it's Google ads, the opt out doesn't block ads, it just doesn't apply your Google history to give ads context.  This is a major revenue source for web sites especially those with high traffic like this one and is a fairly small price to pay in lieu of membership dues, subscriptions. etc.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »

I don't mind the ads, but they constantly change as I try to type a post and it widens, shortens, lengthens, the page and I can't type because my cursor jumps all over the page.  I removed over 1100 malware bits with the malware program and right now it seems to be much better.

David
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 04:28:51 AM »

Pop-up ads (they pop out over page content or as new windows) are not part of the BCM site or forum.  The ads that are here on the forum are the right column ad, the three small rectangular banners at the top, the row of text links under the menu bar, and the one full banner at the bottom.  Any other ads are either being added by your ISP (VERY rare these days) or are the result of adware that has made it onto your computer.

The one exception is when accessing via Tap-a-Talk on a mobile device.  Tap-a-Talk has begun experimentation with ad formats. So anything is possible when using that approach right now.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: