Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 09:14:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out west and back east  (Read 1419 times)
Mike in GA

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:10:17 PM »

Just finished a major road trip in the MCI. Went from Ossipee, New Hampshire to Woodland Park, CO to visit family, then from CO back home to the Atlanta GA area.     
      Some factoids:
Total mileage, 4571
Gallons used, 681
Avg m.p.g. about 6.7 (lots of tailwind!)
Highest price diesel, New Jersey @ $4.01
Cheapest diesel, Missouri @ $3.70
Time on this trip, 19 days
     I was especially pleased at the performance of the new Allison 5-speed, especially climbing from Colo Springs to Woodland Park, elevation 8,200 feet. Did all the Ute Pass in 4th and never approached overheating. I was also pleased with the recently added Jake Brakes in Colo and Monteagle, TN.
     Wouldn't do this type of long trip again due to the high price of fuel. Could have flown the two of us there and back for less than half the price of fuel, but then again that's not why we have a bus! We did save some by using seven WalMarts (not one turndown), and getting a 5% kickback on fuel paid by my credit card at the pump (Pentagon Federal Credit Union).
     Great fun! Bus ran great and my relatives and friends were impressed with our rig.
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 12 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »

Mike, we used to live in CS for 10 years and I drove that pass quite often rebuilding Cabins on the side of Pike's Peak as well as a few homes in Woodland Park. I give you Kudos for taking a Bus up that pass at that speed. There used to be some nasty wreaks there also in the winter. Nice area. Used to love Old Colorado City & Manitou springs but it just got hit with the flash floods. We lived by CC college.

Dave5Cs

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »

You paid around $140.00 per day for your own bed, the fun of driving your bus with your wife, beautiful seanery and when you needed to go you could pull over and use your own facilities. At first I thought ouch but after second thought what a good value.

My thoughts
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »

Us guys are all about the fuel mileage.  Now our women folk are all about the comfort !

Our own pillows , sheets , bathroom's , food prep. , meals just to name a few .

And all the crap that goes with flying , renting a car , the stiff sheets , and the bed bugs that go with the hotels .                     dave   

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »

We all look at it different 8 hrs of airport time and flying or 100 plus hrs of windshield time for the same trip what ever one prefers,we have friends with buses they are doing a lot of Amtrak now and love it 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:31:12 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »

Yes-sir-ree, livin in your home away from home is the way for me, after decades on the road, motels/hotels/condos, I've seen the best be pretty bad, and the bad be passable on the hotel front, but nothin like grabbing a glass of wine from your fridge & sleepin in your own bed, after a long day behind the camera, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »

We all look at it different 8 hrs of airport time and flying or 100 plus hrs of windshield time for the same trip what ever one prefers,we have friends with buses they are doing a lot of Amtrak now and love it 

Clifford you are right. This year I took a job that takes me to the Dominican Republic for several weeks at a time. The flight time is around 10hrs. If I add the airport time it is around 15 to 18 Hrs. If I add hotel time it goes well over 24 hrs. We took our bus to Montana this spring and drove the car home. Now on my days off we can jump in the Cessna and fly to Montana. Sure saves time but the fuel is about $400 round trip. We have a car up there also so we have transportation while there. Not sure I save much money but do save some time. With being gone most of the time Days Off are important. We all need to prioritize our time off. Sometimes windshield time is also relaxing.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:36:26 AM »

You guys know that as bus nuts after we spend all this time tinkering and working on them we have to get out there and drive them . dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »

The way I look at it, you saved $85 a night on motels, not even counting meals.  That means that you'd have to drive something that got 17.5 mpg to break even.  Add in $50 a day for meals, about what my wife and I spend if we are on the road and eating three meals a day out, and you are back up to $135 a day, so your fuel was free.   Grin   Now that means over-nights boondocking, which we do.  We maybe stay one night in four at a campsite if we are truly traveling. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

You guys cannot make the math work saying you are saving money buses are for enjoyment at a cost,the full timers do ok unless they have a major problem then they are in the toilet,factor in all the cost of owning a bus and tell me you save money owning one using it a few weeks out of a year, a bus is not a asset only a liability and big one at that IMO
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:02:20 PM by luvrbus » Logged

TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »

I thought you said:

...,the full timers do ok unless they have a major problem when they are in the toilet,....

Grin Grin Grin

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »

You of all people Doyle should know what I am talking about I watched you part with the 100 dollar bills everyday for awhile  Roll Eyes

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 01:10:18 PM »

Bus owner's math is like girl math - if you save $100 on a half-off dress, you get to spend $100 on new shoes to go with it!   Grin

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »

You of all people Doyle should know what I am talking about I watched you part with the 100 dollar bills everyday for awhile  Roll Eyes

Absolutely correct Clifford!  A major problem puts EVERYTHING in the toilet!  $100/day for 100 days, as I recall.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:44:43 PM by TexasBorderDude » Logged

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »

...  Highest price diesel, New Jersey @ $4.01  ...

Hey, Mike, if you're doing that trip again, look at stopping at Exit 1 on I-84 in New Jersey (just across the river from Port Jervis NY).  There are about 5 stations there that compete *really* hard, last time I was in N England (September), I saw a number of places for $4.19 but it was $3.73 at Exit 1.  Of course, that means you pretty much have to drive I-84 heading west and the hills are pretty nasty (most aren't high but they can be steep) but it's hard to beat their prices anywhere in the North East US.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: