Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 06:37:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: battery location  (Read 721 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »

On my MCI8 the starter batteries are in the stock location and recently I've been wondering if I could see an increase in performance by moving them to the engine compartment.  Less wear and tear? longer lasting?

thoughts?
Debo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:59:21 AM »

Just my take...

If there were a specific reason to relocate them I might, but my chassis batteries perform just fine right where they sit. Of course my wiring is good, so if yours is not performing well you may have a problem somewhere else. My thinking is that if it was good enough for the engineers who designed the system, then it's good enough for me. I think they're better protected in their own compartment than back in the engine bay as well.

Another reason I'd leave them is a short cable run to the house batteries. I'm putting mine in the old condenser bay to be close to my inverter and balance the weight of the chassis batteries.

Hope this helps.

1981 MCI MC9
Detroit 8V-71N
Spicer 4-Speed Manual
Outer Banks, NC (Nags Head)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:06:10 AM »

Ditto what Debo said   Grin.  The batteries are up front for a couple of reasons - balancing weight, reduced heat and vibration, close to the large "house" loads of the air conditioning and heating systems, and in a converted bus the house batteries and inverter.  Some do move them, and put the house batteries in their place, retaining the 4/0 cable that runs up to the front bay from the engine compartment to feed the bus loads and charge the house batteries.  The advantage of putting the batteries in the rear are freeing up the space in the stock compartment for other batteries, and a slightly shorter cable to the starter motor will in theory allow more amps to the motor - in theory only because that only comes into play when the battery is reaching a limit on amperage output.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:38:39 AM »

First I went from 8D's to group 31 or ?? , yes they need help if you have fuel problems. New bats sit on a holder on the AC compressor base, secured the hot in the bat. bay. lined the batt bay with metal, holes in the floor of it, and it now has my 2 --30lb propane tanks plus a 20lb tank.
         Also the holder for the 30lb tanks is from a travel trailer, just add a longer threaded rod.
         And yes they are close to the right exhaust manifold, but so far no problems.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »

Excellent answers already given.  Relocating them will be a major undertaking.  Cradles must be engineered, designed and fabricated.  Ventilation must be provided.  Starter cable length and diameter might have to be changed or modified.

If there are good reasons to do it, then go for it.  It will be a major project.  Sometimes, the starter batteries must be relocated to free up necessary space for more important systems, like an exhaust system or fluid tank relocation.

Our Crown Supercoach plans, (never done!) relocated the two 8D batteries to actually shorten up the cables, make room for an big muffler and to even up the static/dynamic  weight balance of the finished coach.  Many factors involved.  HB of CJ (old coot)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »

Eagles have had their batteries back behind the rear axle by the engine compartment 2-8Ds or 3 G31s since the 50's nice to have just 10 ft of cable instead of 60 ft  Roll Eyes

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: