Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 08:49:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: starter was turnig real slow and now just clicks  (Read 5611 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »

Take a wire and jump the solenoid from the hot battery side of solenoid to the start terminal on the solenoid (small wire terminal) it should click   

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »

If you have positive +24V at all those terminals and nothing is happening you either have no ground at all to the starter motor (highly unlikely) or you have a bad starter motor.  Next step is pull it, take it to that shop that is open tomorrow and have them test it, repair or replace.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

I applied 24v by hanging a wire off the solenoid large positive IN and touching it to the small solenoid positive and it sparks but no sound or action from the solenoid.

I am suspicious of the wire that was clamped to the frame that I recently tapped into the frame.  I am going to take a picture of my setup and label it all to make sure I am not confused.  The manual does not spell out which terminals are which very well but I can follow the ones that lead to ground and am assuming the opposite posts are hot.

I will upload a pic.

1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »

Is my understanding correct on this thing?

Scott Crosby

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »

Mine is a 12v left hand detroit starter but here is how I bench test it.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/NNDucru4YFA

61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »

Ok it looks normal the neutrals are ground the wire you call solenoid positive where is it connected if on the bottom of the solenoid to one of the small terminals it is wired right  check the ground with a test light on the starter connect the lead to the cable of the neutral as you call it touch the point to positive( in) if it lights the ground is good when using a meter or light on the starter always ground on the starter that will tell you if the ground is good on the starter  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:07:00 PM by luvrbus » Logged

stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »

Here's a document that you might find useful -it has some circuit diagrams and test procedures.

http://delcoremy.com/Documents/diagnostic-manual.aspx

Steve
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »

Cliff - I will get in there tomorrow morning and check that out.  I dont have a test light but I have a multimeter and assume I am looking for acceptable voltage (23 - 25v) between the hot and ground on the starter motor with the starter switch turned on.

One thing supporting a ground problem - While I was first "poking" around with the multimeter I recall testing the ground on the starter to the ground I tapped on the chassis and getting 24v.  At the time I thought the starter motor terminal on the back was hot and it got its ground from being bolted to the engine.  So I will test that after performing the test you mention above.  I could also be remembering wrong (it happens).  Hopefully the cause of this issue presents itself tomorrow.  I am ready to get behind the wheel again.

Steve, that is a very detailed doc and a good overview of the basics of electricity, thank you - I save it for future reference - awesome.

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 05:26:58 AM »

I think MCI calls that relay, the starting relay (on our DL3). I have replaced that before. BTDT

I agree with Cliff, check your grounds. Shoot, you could even run new ones. WM sells battery cables.

It probably won't hurt to replace your starter one way or the other. That is what I do lol. I really hope that fixes it, but I kinda doubt it will.

Keep us updated.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 06:42:24 AM »

Just a hint when talking about problems like this.  When referring to DC wiring, use the terms battery and ground, not positive, negative or neutral, not in and out.  That can be very confusing to anyone trying to help.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »

Thanks Len, I really wasn't sure what to call them.

This morning while putting the relay panel back on I discovered a heavy duty wire from the alternator that came off.  It was the Battery side connection and it was touching the frame.  So I put that back on the alternator.

I then tested voltage as Cliff asked (I don't have a 24v light) and get 0v while pushing the start switch across the starter terminals.  I do get 24v at the solenoid but no sound / no action.

I tested the ground on starter to chassis ground and get 0v . 

I jumped the starter to apply voltage directly to the starter motor and get no sound or anything.

I am pulling the starter off and taking it to grand battery after I pickup the appropriate 12point socket.

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:22 AM »

When testing grounds you should be using Ohm side if multi-meter.  (upside down horseshoe)

And it if that was what you were using it's 0 ohms not V.

Just making sure you weren't looking for volts.
Grin  BK  Grin
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 09:11:36 AM »

You should read volts testing a hot wire to a ground test lights are simple for testing IMO I don't use a meter  but very little when chasing lights and wiring problems a hot and ground they light up 

Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »

Hey BK - I wasn't testing resistance...testing Volts as I thought I detected voltage between the starter ground and the chassis ground.  So I was testing voltage on two grounds to make sure there wasn't a short energizing the chassis.

I removed the starter (quite easy) and took it to grand battery.  They tested it and it is bad.  Both the solenoid and starter.  I watched and the solenoid did slowly push the pinion forward and it spun really slow and stopped then wouldn't spin again when he tried again.  Voltage to starter direct didn't spin the starter either.

They are swapping the housing.

I think for installing it I will use a jack to hold it up.  Any other suggestions?

TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »

I removed the starter (quite easy)...

I think you have the wrong starter or bus! Grin

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: