Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 10:14:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sealing against mice...  (Read 4830 times)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2013, 03:10:33 AM »

Our war with mice has intensified. We currently have found evidence of our fifth mouse in the coach. Woke up tonight to the sound of scurrying. Found fresh droppings in our salad bowl in the pantry area. I have sealed up literally every hole I could find. I spent an entire day tearing things apart and doing this. I know that mice can fit thru a hole the size of a dime, and they are attracted to warmth and food, and are supposed to hate moth balls...yada yada. Since I've lost an insane amount of sleep over this and are at risk of losing food over this and am in the process of losing my mind over this, we are purchasing a few 240 second 2500 cubic foot non-toxic, high visibility smoke cartridges. We are then going to run a shop vac hose (set to blower mode) into the bus, and attempt to slightly pressurize the coach. I'm sure smoke will wisp from all over the place, but I can ignore some locations like around small rivet holes on the side of the coach since they can't climb my aluminum etc. But anything low, especially near the drivers' area is going to get my attention. I think we may do this Sunday if I can get the smoke....next step if this doesn't work? Well, at 3AM with a creeped out wife, we become a little irrational....and consider selling the bus....and moving into a metal box.....oh, wait....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:08:43 AM »

It's also possible you have sealed the entry point already, but haven't discovered where they are hiding inside the coach. But that's what mousetraps are for.

The other solution is a cat. But that comes with it's own set of problems, unless you know one you can borrow for a bit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:11:24 AM by Nusa » Logged
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 05:26:26 AM »

Just get a mousetrap and wedge a small piece of bacon on it and set it on the floor in a corner up front. If you catch a mouse, do it again till it sets for several days with no hits. If it doesn't get any hits, try it in area where droppings are showing up.
   Oh wait; bacon is high in cholesterol. Maybe you should use a low fat variety.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »

Poison works great.  Use an anticoagulant (like warfarin) based poison.  Just don't leave any accessible water in the bus.  Most often, mice eat the poison then get real thirsty, leave the bus to find water, and die. We live in the middle of 13 acres of woods and the mice are constantly trying to occupy our spaces.  My house, garage and bus are mouse free, although they have eaten wiring in my wife's car when left outside (some automotive wiring insulation is made of a soy-based plastic).  That cost us about $450!

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »

Poison works great. 

Sorry, Geordie,  I have to disagree on this one.  Small animals (mice, rats, squirrels etc.) eat the poison, go outside to die, and get eaten by predators.  The poison goes up the food chain and hundreds of wild cats (bob cats, pumas, lynxes, etc.) as well as raptor birds die every year due to rat poisons that have come to them "second hand".  If you can't control where the rodents die, poison is a bad deal for the environment and wild animals.  (And, believe me, I am far, far from being one of those "eco types" but this one is just bad for wildlife.
    I think it would be much better if everyone would use traps.  (But that's just my opinion.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Larry B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »

Hi Scott--- Sorry to hear about your mouse problem. They are very annoying ,can do a lot of damage, they stink, and some can carry some scarry diseases. I bought some packages(4) at local hardware store that keep rodents away by the smell of this stuff. It comes in cardboard box about 3"square and 1/2" deep. You poke holes in it with knife and set in bays. I looked inside it looks like dry leaves and grass. I could not smell anything even after pooking holes in box. I have not had a mouse in my bus and we go to many small town rodeo and fairs. We  dry camp a lot in open county. Anyway Scott I am going to shop tomorrow, I will get name of this product before you lite fire to you bus or have the smoke detectors set off. A set of 4 cost about $15.00. Might be something you want to try.
           Larry B 

1977 MCI-5B---
8V71- 4speed man
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »

We have felt the pain of the poison, our neighbor used it and the mouse came over to our property and died.  Our dog ate the mouse, first symptom was a bloody nose, we were lucky to have taken her to a good local vet quickly, very hard to diagnose, almost lost her. Had to give her vitamin "K" shots for several months to get her clotting factor back up. Bad bad stuff. We stick to good old mouse traps.

Bruce

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »

I can't use poison. I know it's very effective in a controlled environment, but we are not in a controlled environment. Some beautiful blood hounds next door that hunt around the property. Would never forgive myself if I poisoned one inadvertently. Anyway, hoping we caught it. Haven't been home since 2:30. Headed home right now. Larry, tell me more. Is it coyote urine?

Scott & Heather
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »

I think your idea is sound but I don't think a shop vac will be enough to pressurize the bus even a little bit.  Something like a carper drying blower that you can rent might work.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:40:43 AM »

I think your idea is sound but I don't think a shop vac will be enough to pressurize the bus even a little bit.  Something like a carper drying blower that you can rent might work.

I was thinking that too. Nearly 2000 cubic feet of volume so yeah....we didn't catch one yesterday but dad and I did check the coach again last night around midnight when we got home and found a small hole but plenty large enough for a mouse under my electrical panel. Sealed it ad hoping for the best.

Scott & Heather
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:46:11 AM »

One product that's the friendly smell kind is Fresh Cab... about $15.  I've used it and no mice yet this year.  Google it, it's all over Amazon

Fresh Cab All Natural Mouse Repellent/ Safe Mouse Control

And www.critter-repellent.com/ makes a product called ShakeAway.  I dunno?

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Larry B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »

Hi Scott-- Took a cople of pictures of the mouse deoderant today. The product was bought at Home Hardware--Canada EH. Just called JI Deoderant. It has a very slight perfume smell. I place one in each bay and I have not had a rodent problem since using them. Good Luck Scott
         Larry B

1977 MCI-5B---
8V71- 4speed man
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »

One thing some people use is those electric rodent repellers.  I know a lot of people say they don't work, but I also know people who swear by them.

I stayed for a week in a staff mobile home at a Scout camp about five years ago.  I asked the staffer what the white box plugged in was.  He said it was to repel mice and said to be sure not to unplug it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Chuck Hancock

1986 Prevost Liberty

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »

I use an electronic rodent repeller when the bus is parked and it works very well.  It is noisy so can't be used when we are inthe bus.  Have not found a good solution other than traps when we are living in the coach.  I agree poison is a bad option.

Chuck & Beth Hancock
Ridgefield,  Ct
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »

We used to catch big harmless snakes and release them under the solar cabin years ago.  Seemed to work.  The only problem is that the snakes would follow the mice and pack rats into the house and then want to crawl up into bed with us when it got cold.  No problem.  You got used to it.  HB of CJ (old coot) Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: