Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 07:48:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverter question  (Read 843 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2006, 07:33:35 AM »

What configuration has been done in hooking up the inverter and the main electrical panel - separated subpanel for things that will be ran off of inverter?

Thanks,
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 07:54:41 AM »

I just hooked the inverter up to one leg of my distribution panel.  Since the inverter also will  pass through, I hooked up the shore and generator power one leg through the inverter, the other leg straight to my panel.  Shore and generator are on a transfer switch.  Works very well.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:36:24 AM »

My inverter was hooked up where everything runs through the inverter and its internal transfer switch (30A). On our last trip last month, this became a problem when we needed more "juice" to charge the house batts, run the block heater, coffee pot, etc. It kept tripping the inverter's transfer switch breaker and I had to shed loads that I shouldn't have had to if it was hooked up differently.

This Spring, I'll install 50A, 4 wire service and hook it up the way Jim describes. Certain things like the block heater and water heater would never be run from the inverter... either genset or shore-powered. So one leg powers the inverter and its loads (or internally switches them), the other leg all of the other stuff we only use when plugged in or running the genset. My inverter is even "two-leg friendly"... allowing one leg for loads and another leg for batt. charging, preventing shore-power trips when the batts are really discharged.

You could also use a subpanel... but seems like it would be more work and more $... unless it allows more flexibility in your layout, or you want to only have 30A, 3 wire service.

HTH,
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 02:30:06 PM »

Hi Danny,

I have setup my inverter to supply both legs in the Panel. This way I can choose what I want to run off the inverter, or Not.

My RS3000 has a 50 amp internal transfer switch built into it.  And, it passes two true legs of 50 amps. when plugged into shore power.

Another plus with the RS3000 is the power monitoring capability  of all the voltages, charging stages, state of battery banks, Volts, hertz,

and draw of the banks. Forget all the little guages you might have to buy with other systems.. It's all in one here.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »

I also have the RS3000 and I think it's set up just like Nicks.  The inverter powers two legs of 120V in the main panel.  Loads are distributed evenly across the two legs.  The inverter powers the whole bus.  When it's plugged in it passes 50A straight through.  The switch from shore power to inverter happens so fast the satellite reciever doesn't even go off line.  With my old inverter I had UPS backups on the receivers to keep them online the shore to inverter switch.  That's not nessessary with the RS3000.

I think it depends on which inverter you go with.  The less expensive ones are better wired to a subpanel.  The smarter sine wave inverters work better powering the entire panel...and the larger ones have the capacity to run just about anything on the inverter. 

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: