Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 01:07:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walmart Batteries  (Read 2115 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »

I was just in Walmart and they have 845 amp marine batteries for $100 each.
EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine Battery
Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »

Be aware that most marine batteries are combination starting and deep cycle.  They aren't as good for house bank use as a true deep cycle battery.  Walmart is a good place to get starting batteries since it is easy to get a new one if a battery goes bad.  House batteries don't seem to go bad as much.  Most house battery banks you end up replacing the entire bank when they can no longer hold a charge long enough.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »

Marine labeled batteries aren't even good for marine use, for a house bank you need batteries that will hold up under abuse, neglect and deep discharge. Any or all of these conditions will KILL a marine battery in short order, they are just not built for this use.>>>Dan ( I have a set of four deep discharge 6 volt batteries that I installed as a set almost 5 years ago and they are as strong as new, this is one area you DON'T WANT TO CHEAP OUT)

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »

Interesting subject,  I have 4 Deka Dominator 8G8D batteries in my house setup, always amaze how well they hold up.  Agree, not a fun area to cheap out.

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:43:09 AM »

Okay, I guess I'm totally ignorant.  I thought all I needed was deep cycle batteries.  Every camper I've had used this type of battery.
So, where do I go?  What do I ask for?  I know NOTHING about batteries.

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:15:23 AM »

6 volt golf cart batteries 220 -230 amp hour . hard to kill them and about $ 100 - $150 each

dave
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:24:26 AM by sledhead » Logged

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:28:11 AM »

Batteries,oil,antifreeze and air filters it doesn't get any better,for the price per amp hr golf cart batteries are the way to go more bang for the old buck

Dave you are after amp hours in batteries for a RV not cranking amps  if a battery doesn't have a amp hr rating @ 20 hrs it is not a true deep cycle some marine style G 27 batteries do have that rating HTH  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:34:34 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:48:26 AM »

The EverStart Maxx 29DC is a deep cycle battery. I believe it is rated at 105ah but...

Bob & Tracey Rice    Cedar Grove, Wi. (40mi. Milwaukee)

1956 GMC PD4104
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »

Okay... confusion.  golf cart at 220 - 230 doesn't sound impressive when the Walmart battery is 845.  Huh

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 06:05:25 AM »

Dave, I think Wally carries the golf cart batt also.

Richard
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 06:19:13 AM »

you want 20A Hrs rating, cranking amps is for a short time, seconds not hours.  I use golf cart (6) batteries. If I had the $$$ I would use L-16 batteries --6V@380-420 amps, same foot print as golf cart but weigh 2x more and taller.  
          You need to know how much (amps) you require and plan, how big of inverter, Huh??
          Do you run a gen, even for over nights , to small a battery bank you kill the bank.
       Again a battery is rated 20 amp  draw for x number of hours.  Start battery is for only a few seconds. 
         Got my golf cart batteries at Sams club.
arjan

'87 Orion 1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »

Okay... confusion.  golf cart at 220 - 230 doesn't sound impressive when the Walmart battery is 845.  Huh

I think that the WM battery may be 845 CCA (cold cranking amps) and probably around 60Ahrs (amp hours) the golf cart battery rating is 220 Ahrs meaning that you can pull 10Amps out of it for 22 hours straight where the WM battery is only good for 6 hours. On top  of that the GC battery can do this many more times then the WM battery

Off course you never want to discharge your battery bank that deep it will wear out any battery a lot faster then keeping the discharge under 50%
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 06:43:58 AM »

Dave with deep cycle also the more you have and how they are wired together also comes into play. Also depends on what you are running most of the time and the size of your inverter and or solar system.
Go to a deep cycle battery site and most will have the info you need.
Trojan 6 volts are good as well as US deep cycle 6 or 8 volt. About 232 AH per battery.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:25 AM »

Dave, keep in mind when a 6v battery says 205 amp hrs if you have a 12 volt house system it takes 2 to make the amp hr one battery states and with a 24 volt system it takes 4

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »

I tried the deep cycle thing. Even bought interstate. They will last you about 3 years. I could have burned the house down with them. Lost one cell and the inverter keep charging looking for the right voltage till it fried them all before I smelled it. Melted casings on two of six!! My battery guy told me that if a 6v flooded battery explodes that it is equivelent to a quater of a stick of dynamite!!. Everyone is right about the golf cart batteries. The most bang for the buck. I went with AGM. Sams sells the 6v flooded Trojan for around $85.00. They have duracell agm in the same for Around $ 180.00. Problem with the agm is that lifeline rates theirs at 230 ah (best I remember) and sams at 190ah. The 6v flooded will take a beating and survive. I know first hand with the golf carts we have as rentals. I felt the agm would be safer, and went with those.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »

Kind if got away from walmart batteries.
 I have six interstate 1850 floor scrubber batteries for my house bank.
No problem.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

One can build a battery bank for what ever the budget will allow I have had LifeLine AGM batteries melt before with charging and the heat from the high way here in AZ one vented and took out my entire bank of 8.

If one wants a 1st class battery bank and the pocket books allows it Rolls Surrett is the way to go but Joe Laird and the railroad are the only two I know that can afford it lol

What other battery besides Surrett will offer a 10 year warranty, most people I know and I did also could get 7 years from golf cart batteries YMMD just build your battery bank for good service and a reasonable investment it will work for you  

Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »

Well said

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
sommersed

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »

Knowledge is a great thing.  If using battery's for living, battery knowledge can be found at http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Ed
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »

As with all sites, take them with a grain of salt. The battery bank wiring is not correct. While it will work as shown, it does not charge or discharge the batteries properly; the power and ground should be on opposite ends of the bank.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »

I appreciate all the input.  You probably saved me some money in the long run.  I thought I was looking at 845 A x 4 or 6 batteries.  Figured I was a genius. 

Now, where does a country kid find 6V Golf Cart batteries?  I hope to leave Michigan tomorrow and get as far as Pennsylvania.  then I'll leave the bus for a week and then pick it up and head south in the general direction of Spring Hill Florida.

I might just wait for Florida to do my batteries.  I have one Marine battery in there now, connected to my start batteries through the Vanner.  That's enough for my 2000 Watt Inverter to maintain my Fridge and some little stuff.

Unrelated question:  When I kill the big battery switch next to the start batteries, does that stop the flow of the start batteries to my 12V Marine Battery?   In other words, if I kill my Marine Battery, will I kill my start batteries with the switch off?

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »

If you have a Costco or Sams Club card that is where you can get the best deal you only pay a $9.00 core charge and the price is good it's worth the card fee in core charges

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »

The start batteries will be turned to off when you put the switch on off. they can still lose charge depending on any par-acidic loads that may be going in the Bus and from time down, cold, or heat but essentially they will be dead or out of use. It just keeps any one from starting the Bus.

It should not drain your marine Battery unless you have loads pulling off it while you are gone and again any par-acidic loads(I.E. alarm clocks, refrigerator digital display, TV even in off position. Computers even when off,night lights, etc.

If your charger is not running from a 110 shore source it will not keep it charged if it goes down. If everything is shut off and it is not plugged into shore power or auto generator start with inverter on then just unhook the power cable on your marine battery while you are gone and turn off your inverter.

Dave5Cs
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:47:58 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 08:46:45 PM »

I use 2 GP-29 Marine batts from WM for house with no problems but my electric load is not great, no inverter.

It all depends on your needs.

I hate heavy batts!

I've never had any problems with WM batty warranties and they are everywhere!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: