Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:15:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS  (Read 1462 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
GPS
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »

I've been using the DeLorme Street Atlas gps with my notebook for years but want to change to a standalone Tom-Tom or Garmin.  Who recommends what model in the $100-$200 range dash mount portable?

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Loosen the purse strings a little and go with one of these from Garmin:

RV760LMT  or  DEZL760LMT

The first, besides mapping, also includes lots of RV campsites, etc.

The second is geared for the trucking industry.

Both have 7" displays, which are much, much easier to read than the smaller 4" stuff  (I have both an older Street Pilot 7200 and a nuvi 260, much prefer the larger 7200's screen.)

Both also allow you to enter your rig's height, weight, and length to help with routing to avoid low bridges, etc.

Neither one is perfect, but both have fewer negative reviews on Amazon than the competition.

The Dezl unit is also available with a smaller screen, the Dezl560LMT, at a slightly lower price point.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »

http://www.randmcnally.com/category/rv-gps   

I got 1 of these last year from camping world works great .big screen ,  easy to use . I have a garmin trucking gps works good . Nice to have 2 as 1 is usually wrong !     

dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
rip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »

i just bought a new garmin nuvi 3597 and love it.
    Don
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »

Best Buy has the Magellan Road Mate 9250 LMB on sale for 159.00  WalMart always has some brand on sale
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:11:49 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »

Doyle,

I bought a Garmin NUVI-50 last year. It works great.

Whatever you buy, if you get it online on Black Friday, it will be cheaper.

Joe

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
opus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »

Skip it all and go with Google Maps on your phone.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 11:56:58 PM »

Over the years I have purchased many Garmin brand, and over the years they keep improving with things like traffic updates, free updates on maps, better info in general.  The main point needing made is you need to keep your eyes open, sometimes they tend to take the long way around, adding mucho miles etc.
One of the major parts I love is the leaving tracks, when you out on the ATV having much fun, it is a relief to know how to get back to civilation, I think they all do that now.
Toll road warnings etc, my trip thru Denver, cost me about $35.00 in tolls, got billed a few weeks after the fact.
Pay your mney and take your chances. But I would stick with the Garmin.

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »

I bought a 7" Magellan with "Lifetime updates" from CostCo for about $215.  It's good, not super-readable in sunlight, has the usual brainfarts, easy to update.  But I agree that if you're running a GPS in a bus, you should have the "trucker$$$ model" with extra info.  But I'd never try to live without a 7" screen. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
rydrman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »

Loosen the purse strings a little and go with one of these from Garmin:

RV760LMT  or  DEZL760LMT

I just got the DEZL 760LMT for my trip across Canada and I couldn't be happier. I went for the DEZL because it's the same price and actually still has the RV mode. I use the truck mode however, because it offers more features. Fuel logging, height and weight restrictions etc... It can do things like search ahead on your route for food or parts or lodging, which is a savior when you're on the open road.

Although its expensive I would say it's a worthy investment, even for the amazingly big, clear, and bright screen

FWIW...

Liberty

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »

be cautious of depending on Phone based maps only. There are places without cell service.
LeRoy
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »

I would not walk away from a TOM-TOM, I'd RUN AWAY from it! (unless they were giving me like $250 to take it!)

However we've had MANY GPS's and GARMIN is by far the best we've had.
We have the Garmin Street Pilot 7200's in all our buses and several of the smaller Garmin's for taking w/us in other vehicles.

I also have a Magelin that is OK, but really the Garmin's are the best!

That said I haven't looked @ new GPS's in a LONG time but if I were to buy one I'd probably go with;
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Consumer-Electronics-/293/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=DEZL+760LMT

Grin  BK  Grin
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »

We have the Garmin Street Pilot 7200's in all our buses and several of the smaller Garmin's for taking w/us in other vehicles.

Bryce -

I have a SP 7200 also in my truck, use it for work.  Love it, and keep it's maps updated, too.  Good unit, hoping that these new DEZL models are as good or better.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »

any good Apps on for iPad?

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 04:42:36 AM »

Tikvah,Try MapQuest,it will show fuel prices, been useing RVparking.com on this trip also very helpfull
Been reading about you starting out full timeing,you should head to the south west,get you some drive  time in the flat country of the midwest,like someone else said, Yuma or about anywhere Arizona good place to get things for your bus,and a bunch of bus people around.
we been fulltimeing in our bus going on four years,its great, going to list our houses in Nevada,and get rid of all the extra BS,AND KEEP TRAVLIN....GOOD LUCK
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:44:34 AM by saddleup » Logged

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: