Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 06:59:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penny-wise and pound-foolish  (Read 2728 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »

This past August I blew a right front tire and CoachNet sent the service truck (a great value CoachNet is).  I just didn't want to spend so much for new steer tires, so I agreed to buy an unknown (to me at least) Wanli Chinese tire at $450/copy.  I was really pissed when the DOT date was 18 mos. old, but I just swallowed hard and came the last 200 miles on in.  Well I've gotten ready to head out again and found a bubble in the sidewall of my new tire.  Couldn't find anything on the internet for Wanli but did see that Les Schwab Tires in Dallas carried Wanli passenger tires, so I called 'em.  The kid on the phone is still laughing.  He said "You know this is Dallas, Oregon... not Dallas, Texas right?"

Ok, today I got the guy I bought them from and it took him a while to find someone nearby that could get a replacement tire from Wanli.  I'll have to pay for the new tire and mounting, etc and then they'll see what kind of a refund they will allow on a 65 day old, 200 mile tire.

So I asked him what he could do about changing to Toyo or something I have confidence in.  He said if I'd drive back to Kerrville, he'd put the Toyo's on for the original difference (about $220)  Which I thought was a great deal and will head out tomorrow.

Long and short of it is although we hate to spend any more than necessary, you do get what you pay for (at most!)  Seen it here with folks trying to save money on inverters, etc.  only to find they are dealing with non-factory authorized resellers who can't provide warranty.  Kinda like these tires.  Get the best deal you can, but go with the known quantity.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:45:32 AM by TexasBorderDude » Logged

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »

And who knowes what type of oil them chinese use to make there tires...

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »

Coffee told him not to buy that tire and he didn't listen Roll Eyes

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

But ya know Doyle I saved  over 1,100.00 on that inverter and I still after all is said and done thank you to Brandon for putting it up. I think I could get it fixed for that if needed and if the issue was forced I think Magnum would come around.  Shocked
Now a bubble on a tire that could be life threatening if it blew and I like Toyo's also so Ya done good!... Grin

Dave5Cs

TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »

Clifford, when will I ever learn to listen to my better-half! Grin Grin  Hell, if I'd learned that, I might still be married

Dave,  thanks for the encouraging words.  I'm glad it worked out for you and saving money is never a bad thing!

Yep, just one front blowout at 70 is plenty for me.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »

Doyle Your 70?

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »

Grin Grin Soon, but 70 mph, heart-rate 185!

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »

I did not find many reviews on Wanli commercial tires, but they seem to have been around a while.  I would be curious to find out if they have a lot of such failures or you just got lucky.  I am sure that, based on price, they must be inferior to the premium brands, they still may be okay for our use.  I bought a couple of cheaper Chinese tires a couple of years ago for drives and have not had any problem yet.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »

Lin, I spent a good deal of time on Saturday googling Wanli tires.  They are a major state run Chinese outfit but apparently very little market penetration in the US.

Found this in one of the sports car forums

'Wanli makes great tires. They come on Ferrari's, AMG Mercedes, BMW's, Porsche's, and Aston Martins from the factory."

Someone had a great sense of humor.  I think the guy that sold me the tires was talked into stocking a couple by his jobber  (18 month DOT date) and hadn't had any real experience with them.  Any way it's on to Toyo and greener pastures.

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »

Wanli is the Chinese spelling of Pirelli  Grin

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »

Wanli have been around the US for a while and the tire guy we used to use up in Union City was pushing them for a while.
I know he pushed them for at least 2 yrs before we moved and have no idea if he still is on not that was over 3 yrs ago.

I ran a set on the drives of 1 of our buses for a while. They did fine and ran out til they were wore out w/no problems. (I didn't trust them for steer tires, but looking back on the service they gave me on the drives I suppose they'
d been fine!)
Grin  BK  Grin
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »

As I've said before, tires are much more then big round rubber black things that rotate. The tires are what holds the bus up and more importantly, is the traction between the tire and street. Michelin makes over 50 different truck tire models for various applications. Please get the proper tire for your bus and bite the bullet and pay the premium for the best, name brand tires. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »

I probably would run this one on a drive or bogie... but NOT the steer.  Will get the Toyo's if I can limp back the 200 miles to get 'em changed out.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »

As I've said before, tires are much more then big round rubber black things that rotate. The tires are what holds the bus up and more importantly, is the traction between the tire and street. Michelin makes over 50 different truck tire models for various applications. Please get the proper tire for your bus and bite the bullet and pay the premium for the best, name brand tires. Good Luck, TomC

Would you care to explain what a "proper tire" for a bus is?  To me, if I need a tire for my front axle the proper tire would be a regional (or long haul) 11R24.5 tire that is all position or steer.  If I need a tire for the drive axle I have a few more choices as I can use an all position or a drive tire and drive tires can have a few different tread patterns.

Wanli is a brand name, is it not?  It is the name of a brand just like Toyo, Goodyear, Michelin, and all the rest.  Is it a brand name I would use?  Probably not.  Goodyear has a really bad name in the ST trailer tire market and the #1 recommendation for ST trailer tires is usually Maxxis made in Thailand.

Tire problems can happen on any brand.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:39:23 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
twostick

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »

If it was me, I would buy the best steer tire I could afford. If the budget won't go for a premium brand like a Michelin, Bridgestone or Goodyear, I would at least spring for a Firestone, Dunlop or maybe a Toyo. Drives I would have less of a problem running second string tires but any of those off/unheard of brands I would tend to stay away from. Reliability is pretty much unknown and they by and large have horrible rolling resistance numbers which means whatever you save in purchase price you will likely spend in extra fuel burnt and then some.

No such thing as cheap tires.

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: