Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 01:42:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raymond Loewy  (Read 874 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »

Just noticed the latest Google Doodle and consequently learned that it would apparently Raymond Loewy's 120th birthday today. He was responsible for some cool industrial and vehicular design, evidently including the Scenicruiser and earlier GM buses:

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »

We could use a little more of his influence . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »

Great designs.  And as much as I've always loved the Studebaker Avanti, I have to admit that I'm even fonder of the Studebaker Champion with the "third headlight" right in the middle of the grille.  Yeah, Loewy was a genius.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:11:13 AM »

Looks like he had some interesting designs. Some of them looked futuristic even by todays standards. I firmly believe that we often go in circles with vehicle designs as well as household appliances. Alot of buses are more of a square shape now while the RTS looked like something out of STARTREK in the late 1970's. Now some buses are going back to the sleek look.
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »

Yes, Raymond Loewy was quite a design genius .  We even have a set of formal dinnerware called Golden Oak that he designed.

My cousin used a Raymond Loewy designed Studebaker (Golden Hawk I believe)to get into the 200 mph club at Bonneville Salt Flats.  If I remember correctly it had a Chrysler hemi engine with a GMC blower.  My cousin did say that at over 200 mph it was "a little light on it's feet!!"

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:14 AM »

I spent a lot of my professional career in NYC in advertising and PR. On Madison Avenue Loewy was regarding as the foremost industrial and graphic designer of the century.
I know he designed the original contour bottle for CocaCola - the curves reminded people of Marilyn Monroe.
More to the point of this BB however is that he was creator of the Greyhound SceniCruiser, a.k.a. their parlour car:
www.wikipedia.com/scenicruiser
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 12 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »

Oops!
I see that the SceniCruiser had been mentioned earlier.
And oops again:  here is the correct website for the bus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenicruiser
Sorry,
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 12 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
oltrunt

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »

Thanks for the post.  I had no idea Loewy was behind the Senicruiser so I learned something new.  After over 30 Studebrakers and a handfull of Avantis I remain a fan of Loewys advanced designs which pushed the technology of the day--hard!  Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: