Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 08:32:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: using nitrogen with Pressure Pro?  (Read 1213 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »

Hi folks, does anyone see an issue with using nitrogen with the Pressure Pro system?
Thanks
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »

Your already using nitrogen,,, air is 87 percent nitrogen. The reason aircraft use it is nitrogen is moisture free so won't freeze at altitude.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:04:58 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
gus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »

Be very careful using Nitrogen if you use your own tanks, tank pressure is unreal.

Since air is about 80% N anyway using it doesn't seem to me to be worth the safety risk and I don't see how it could affect anything in a tire any more than would air.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »

Nitrogen won't make a bit of difference to your pressure pro system.  It also won't make any difference to your tires, but that's a whole different old wife's tale.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »

I take it this system is not for a bus ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:36 AM »

I flew a pressurized aircraft for 35 years and the only nitrogen used on the plane was to pressurize the gear struts. It wasn't because of moisture, but because it was a cheap source for pressurized gas that exceeded the shop air supply pressures.

The tires were filled with good old pressurized air.

Old wive's tale.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 04:49:17 AM »

Nitrogen has a % of water vapor doesn't it ?

jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 04:55:40 AM »

Clifford, right now the question is for my truck, it will also be valid for the Scenicruiser!!
Y'all laugh all you want, I have seen the documentation that it saves money over the long haul!
My diesel pickup has got me 90,000 miles on each of the last two sets using nitrogen!
The biggest savings is where you get a nail in a tire that you can't see. With nitrogen, it does not rust from the inside out, therefore the steel belts are not weakened. Which destroys the tire!

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 05:25:46 AM »

I don't know that much about it in tires I do know WalMart has used it for years on all their trucks and trailers tires and they have their own generators at the service terminals that removes the Oxygen making 95 % Nitrogen  

I was told at my local Big O tire shop that if Nitrogen was not used in my tires @ 8 bucks each the tires would not have a warranty which I found out was total bs  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:46:25 AM by luvrbus » Logged

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »

You need to find out how many trucking companies use nitrogen. The nitrogen may not cause nails to rust, but what about the part of the nail that is in contact with the cords that isn't in contact with the nitrogen? How do you know that the truck tires may not have gone 90,000 with old fashioned air in them also? If your set on using it, go for it. I doubt that the pressure pro system would be affected with either source.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
gus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »

The rusty nail/belt story is new, I hadn't heard that one before! The N scam used to be it kept water out of tires and didn't leak as much as air??

chessie said it well, that experience does nothing to prove the worth of N.

It is like when a cold gets better in two weeks is you do nothing or 14 days if you take antibiotics!

What N does is make money for the gas companies.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »

Nah, nitrogen's over-rated.   I inflate my tires with propane, done it all my life, haven't blowed up yet.   When I needs to cook my roadkill for dinner I just puts an ol' rubber tube 'tween valve stem and BBQ grill, then voila instant tire-side cookin'.   What's wrong with that?

Just kidding . . .

I do agree though that there's very little, if any, incontrovertable scientific proof that 100% nitrogen is better in tires than the 78.09% nitrogen we all breathe.   As with most things, just follow the money.

John
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:52:51 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »

Helium might be more beneficial. The blimps use it. If placed in the tires, would probably reduce gross weight of coach by at least several hundred pounds.........

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »

Jon,, I just retired after 33 years as an IA 36 years as an A/P & 21 years as a corp pilot and Director of maint. for two airlines and one helicopter company,I have owned dozens of aircraft mostly twins. Nitrogen is used in inflatable struts & in place of pure air in air over hydraulic struts to prevent internal corrosion and freezing at altitude, even at that it happens occasionally, and when the gear freezes in the wells things get noisy very shortly after coming over the fence..
 All jet aircraft today use nitrogen in the tire assemblies to help control temps. during high speed ground runs, BUT, I am NOT a proponent of using it in automotive tires.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:06:42 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »

Really guys there must be some advantage to Nitrogen filled tires I never bought any Cat rubber tire equipment that was not Nitrogen filled at the factory why would they go to the expense ?

I did get tired of buying the stuff but Cat said the tires would have a longer life true or not I don't really know,all I remember is I would have nightmares for a week when I bought a set of tires for a 631 scraper at 32 grand a set lol  

wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »

the best answer is to do what makes you happy, if you want it, do it, other wise do what the rest of us do.
I mostly only do what makes me happy as long as the DW allows it. Angry

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »

Accept for Clifford, pretty much most of these comments had nothing to do with the question, other than the one one that said it shouldn't be an issue!
I've heard all the snake oil comments before!
I've also seen folks save money using nitrogen!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »

Jon,, I just retired after 33 years as an IA 36 years as an A/P & 21 years as a corp pilot and Director of maint. for two airlines and one helicopter company,I have owned dozens of aircraft mostly twins. Nitrogen is used in inflatable struts & in place of pure air in air over hydraulic struts to prevent internal corrosion and freezing at altitude, even at that it happens occasionally, and when the gear freezes in the wells things get noisy very shortly after coming over the fence..
 All jet aircraft today use nitrogen in the tire assemblies to help control temps. during high speed ground runs, BUT, I am NOT a proponent of using it in automotive tires.>>>Dan

Utah, I am sure you will agree the primary reason for most uses of N is because it is available and can deliver much greater pressures than shop air. If moisture is a problem (unlikely in the amounts present in typical shop air) then the use of a compressed air dryer will deliver compressed air that is drier than a popcorn fart.

The tire places that try to shove the use of N down our throats are after the money because if N was really important to have in tires they would first pull a vacuum on the tires and then fill with N.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »

FWIW Robertson Tire does pull a vacuum I watched that he set the bead with air pressure then hooked the pump to pull the small vacuum he forgot about the pump doing something else and the vacuum broke the bead loose I wondered if that was any benefit or not   

gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »

How can you set the bead with air pressure and draw a vacumn at the same time?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »

I wasn't clear Gus he set the bead with air when the air was out because the valve stem wasn't in the tire then he pulled the vacuum   

It made no sense to me when he turned the vacuum pump off and disconnected the hose it sucked air back into the tire but he got his 12 bucks a tire  Roll Eyes not from me it was another customer in the shop 1st time I ever saw that done 

They do use vacuum to break down some tires on the high dollar aluminum wheels for cars I have saw that done many of times in Phoenix on high dollar sports car

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: