Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slack Adjusters  (Read 567 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:11:17 AM »

After almost crawling up the a$$ of a mini-van on when I-35 everything came to a sudden stop at Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday,  I needed to check/adjust the slack adjusters.  Mine are Rockwell I think with a 9/16" square adjusting nut.  When tightened to full tight, (Shown #1 in photo)  I can only back off 1/4 turn by removing the ratchet tang (Shown #2 in photo) from the body.  Is there some other release?  It won't back off against the ratchet at all.  (I have one new adjuster with a 5/16 nut, but the same thing, tang must be removed to back off)

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »

Doyle, can you see the brake shoes move when you back off the nut. and are you pushing in when your backing it off. hold the wrench on the nut and push in and turn. the clip is spring loaded and needs to be pushed in inorder to back it off. juat asking ? here.

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »

My gut feel ( not enough shown in picture to be sure) is that those are automatic slack adjusters.  I don't adjust them, I leave them to the pro's.  Slack adjusters are very cheap, no reason to not change them out.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »

Andy,  thanks for the shout back.  I'll try in the morning on the fronts.  I've still got the wheels off and it's lots easier.  I'm worn out today... ran my driver rear torsilastic down about an inch to boost that side up a bit.  That idiot end of an 1 7/8" open end wrench and a 5ft cheater is no bargain!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

Yep good help is hard to find lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »

Yep good help is hard to find lol
Gotta good chuckle out of that Clifford!  Last time I got you and Van to pull on that wrench.  Sonnie just told me where the wrench was and went back to watching NASCAR re-runs.

Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »

Hell Doyle just but Coffee in the Bus and take it to Cliffords  Grin

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: