Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 01:08:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1994 MCI 102D3 vs. 1999 Prevost La Mirage XL (Can't decide)  (Read 4004 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »

My Dina was owned by a charter company out of Atlanta.  Very little rust except surface rust on some of the metal in the engine and surface rust on some of the undercarriage up front.  I picked up a ton of rust when I drove back through a snowstorm in Wisconsin in Jan 2011.  It was too cold at home to hose off the salt all over the bus and it rusted up a lot of stuff.

Dinas can rust badly.  I have seen some Dinas run in Chicago that had major rust damage.  At least one even had the aluminum skin eaten through by the salt around the wheel wells.  (The skin is a good 1/8" thick.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »

Fwiw Sean's eagle has practically zero corrosion. It makes me sick. I'd love to be able to just turn any random nut or bolt without freaking out about the rust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »

Thanks.. I don't know why.. but I do want to convert myself. Honestly.. I am not a fan of leather, marble and mirrors.. I know most do like that style, but it is just not me....

Some pros and cons:

Prevost -
Pros-
-Drives nice
-No restroom to tear out
-This was a GO Transit unit that was retired 2010. FWIW, I am sure that the coach was well kept at least until then.
-I like the Stainless exterior.
-I like the idea of disc brakes
-I like the idea of a seat with air
-Still has the LCD display (not sure why I like that..could be fun)
-Series 60 with an Allison B500R
Cons-
-Allison B500R haha...
-Can't say for sure how long this has been sitting.
-I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling from the seller..lol
-No recent history
-Coach has a wheelchair access door on the side. (although that might not be a bad thing..)
-Steel wheels have rust
-Body wrap that would probably take forever to remove
-will need a few patches in the luggage bays

MCI 102D3
Pros-
-Drives nice
-I feel very comfortable with the seller. Actually one of the owners came to my Wedding
-Full service history
-Cosmetically better. Cleaner luggage bays
-Alcoa Wheels
-In service until Oct. 31
Cons-
-not a series 60
-manual trans (although can also go in pros, because it is way cheaper to own down the road)

ERRRR...

But the question is will he be the cause of your divorce?
Grin  BK  Grin
michael11

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 06:18:52 AM »

But the question is will he be the cause of your divorce?
Grin  BK  Grin

well that is possible... Grin
michael11

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2013, 05:50:18 AM »

Just thought I'd update... Actually not much to update, as I haven't bought either yet.

Now I am looking at a 1997 H3-41 vs. the 99 XL

any thoughts on the h3-41?
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »

Is it really an H3-41 or an H3-45, or is it really a 97. What engine? Some converters if it is a conversion titled them as much as 4 years after the chassis date.

Anyway, the H3, like the XL is a very good coach. The H has a stainless steel frame so corrosion on the chassis is not an issue. Parts, technical support and service are all available. I know of no weaknesses in the H3 worth mentioning. If it is a 97 chassis it could have the IFS or a solid front axle. The early IFS seemed to have issues with bushings and occasionally upper ball joints, so it is best if you sort out specifically what actual model year you are looking at.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »

I owned a 1997 H-41 with a series 60 and with the IFS look for the straight axle Roll Eyes the IFS from 1997 to 2000 was a problem with Prevost 2000 they redesign the IFS and still had problems till 2004 

The 1997 model will have frame less windows nice buses but check the roof and caps Prevost is proud of the fiberglass parts for that bus BTDT 

The 1st H- 41 came out in 1994 all had series 60 with the Allison B500 if that helps that is why they were built was to accept the series 60 easier than the h-40

good luck
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:54:51 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2013, 06:26:01 AM »

Rivets  Rule!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
jetart

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »

I believe the driver in an "H" sits at lower level than the "floor" of the rest of the coach. (unlike an XL that is flat - driver to tail)  If you are planning to use the driver area as part of your living space make sure to take that into consideration.  This also puts the co-pilot on a different level that the driver.  My 82 is setup like this and you loose some floor space and it's a little awkward chatting with the co-pilot that is 1 1/2 feet higher than you.

Dan

'82 Prevost LeMirage XL, 8V71NA, 6 speed Spicer, converter unknown
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »

Whichever you choose, having a pre 2002 (no EGR) Detroit Series 60 is a big plus. Next would be a Cummins M11/ISM with Caterpillar C12 close behind. Once you get past 2002, you'll have EGR on the engine-which isn't a problem. What is usually is the EGR cooler. Lots of problems with them leaking. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: