Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 29, 2014, 12:41:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: restroom converion  (Read 1149 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »

I have a 77 MCI-8 with the factory restroom/sink.  I'm not ready for a full conversion bathroom/shower so I had the idea of adding a water pump and tank to convert the factory restroom to one with running water.

Has anybody done this? details?

thanks.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:58 PM »

NAME? - *

When you open the transmission access door on the curb side of the coach behind the tag axle, you should see two quick-disconnect fittings in the upper RH corner.  Those Hansen couplers are for filling the existing two tanks - the larger one for the chemical toilet's holding tank, the smaller one for the sink's water supply - which is gravity fed.

The toilet holding tank is right behind the couplers, with the drain mechanism below.  The sink's holding tank is hidden inside the restroom behind the mirror, requiring mirror removal for service/access.

I think you'll find rather quickly that using the revenue service restroom's toilet is a real pain in an RV application.  First of all, it's located on the wrong side of the coach for most dump stations!  Other RV owners are not happy campers if you have to pull in bassackwards to dump.  Secondly, they don't dump with a hose like an RV - it's a straight shot down when you pull the plug, splashing everywhere.

Revenue service restrooms are designed to be dumped frequently, depending on the operation.  (A Greyhound might have it's dumped 4x in 24 hrs on a long-haul schedule, for example.  A charter might only have to be dumped every other day, depending on use.) You'll also need to obtain some commercial coach toilet chemical to dump into the holding tank to control the odor, as the RV stuff is pretty weak, comparatively - but even this can drive you batty if it's not changed frequently.  Passengers normally aren't bothered by this because there's a blower fan that runs constantly to exhaust the fumes whenever the coach master switch is on.  This fan and it's duct work are also hidden behind the mirror, IIRC.

Not trying to burst your bladder here, just relaying some "real world" experience with revenue service coach restrooms in answer to your question.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

* - Please take a minute to update your profile with a signature line similar to mine below.  Simply click on the Profile tab above, then, in the LH menu that opens, click on "forum profile info" and follow the prompts.  By doing so, we can not only call you by name, but can also direct you more intelligently towards parts, service and perhaps another nearby busnut.  TIA

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »

I used my existing coach toilet and sink for a short time and when parked in an rv park after a few days in the heat even with chemicals it gets pretty nasty unless you have a way to keep the venting blower working all the time. As for dumping you would need to modify the dump outlet to accept a dump hose. If a long one was used you could run it around the back of the coach over to the sewer inlet at the rv site.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 06:23:24 AM »

Fwiw, this was one of the first things we stripped from our coach when we converted it. They are nasty and not at all well thought out. Whoever designed the bathroom and holding tank situation in these buses apparently never used or serviced them. Honestly, in one day you could install a freshwater tank, black/grey combo tank, a toilet, and sink, and pump and have basic running water and poo storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »

I would recommend putting fresh and grey water tanks in the back bay with a sureflow pump. This IMHO would be the best way to do that. Then you could have a lot more water capacity. 

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:46:01 AM »

And since the next question is going to be "Heeeelp! How do I get the washroom out of the bus" the short answer is "with great difficulty, much cursing and lots of skin off the knuckles"

I pondered long and hard trying to find a way to make use of the washroom but in the end it just wasn't worth the trouble.

sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »

My son and I tried to save it at first .In the end I used a air chisel and cut down the middle and riped it out . After I decided on the air chisel it only took 2 hrs to remove . Use hearing protection     dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: