Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 12:01:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tennessee to Florida  (Read 753 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »

At some point in the next week or so we will leave Chattanooga, TN and head for Spring Hill, FL.  There is no hurry getting there, but we have to go sometime.  Basically, we plan to drop right down I-75.

Is there any great places to stop along the way?  Maybe stop for a night or two, or maybe longer. 

If not, a truck stop will be our home for a night.

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »

Dave,

I had to look. I thought that was less than a days drive...for us Grin.

FWIW, I prefer WM's to truck stops. If it is a Flying J, or Pilot with RV parking out front, that can be fine. Otherwise, somewhere towards the front of the lot. Especially down south you gotta stay off the back of the lot. In the back, you can get quite the education Roll Eyes

Cheers,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »

John, What's a WM?

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
BillC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »

Walmart  I believe

1983  Eagle  10 S
John316

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »

Sorry. Yes, Walmart. I know bad things can happen in Walmart parking lots. However, down south they often have security (you know, the big scary dudes, in the little white truck with a yellow flashing light Tongue). To me they feel cleaner and better then most of the truck stops. Not to mention, shopping is close and easy.

Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »

Probably true about the Walmart.  On the other hand, the truck stops are right on the expressway and clearly marked, so I know where to go. 

Why do you think there is more trouble in the "back lots" of truck stops in the south?   I always find myself trying to get away from the street lights at night.

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
John316

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »

A lot of truck stops are keeping things cleaner these days. You can google "lot lizards" to see what I am talking about.

We always find a nice light to park under. If we are at Pilot or Flying J, we try to be out front in the RV slots.

On the other hand, WM are easy to find. Google maps, or find them on your phone. There is even an app out there to help you find them. Usually they are fairly close to the interstate....

FWIW

John

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »

Take I-75 down to Lake City, Fl. Catch 47 south to 19 south to Spring Hill, Fl. See Ginnie Springs while there. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »

Sounds like a nice place.  I remember a place like that as a kid.  But I don't remember the name.  Crystal Springs sounds familiar, but that's s city.  When I visited my grandparents it was somewhere near Tampa.  And I would swim at this small 'pond' that seemed crystal clear and bottomless.  It was some kind of park, but I don't remember if they had camping then. 

That was a lot of years ago, but it was a very cool place for a kid.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »

Interesting, I enjoy/feel comfy in truck stops, probley because of years ago I was a trucker, refer type, and learned how to not act/look, always leave shades partly open, no one can see in unless you have lights on and feel no one can tell if your watching etc. Do not open slides, no out door rugs, no plants etc. Don't act/be stupid.  Only issue was a drunk woman and lot lizzards, both easy to convince to move on.

I am embarassed by some WalMart RVers, do not like being seen in some, so avoid them generally.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »

Dave -

RoadRunnerTex (JL Vickers) & I spent the night in his 4905 at a WalMart enroute from Ft. Worth to Blytheville for the rally back in April and had no problems.

This link has a list of WalMarts and whether they allow overnight parking (ONP) or do not allow it (NOP).  Simply download the list for reference.  It's also available as a Garmin file to upload to one of their GPS units.  (You might have to set up a Yahoo email account to access.  If you have any problems, send me a PM.)  It's very useful all across the country.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/files

Sometimes you can also use Sam's or a Cracker Barrel, too.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »

That's helpful info.  I though Cracker Barrel allowed parking, but I've never seen one where I could fit my rig in (pulling car).  I've been to a couple Cracker Barrels and had to park some distance away and walk.

Love that place!

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »

Cracker Barrel works for me, when towing can park in a few car spots in rear, no problem, also ask mgr. always is ok. Evan in Orlando.

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »

Cracker barrel has RV parking behind the building not out front most will have 3 or 4 spaces for RV's we don't do truck stops when parked at WM you do have little security  

Costco allows overnight parking if you are a member  now most dollar stores allow overnights but the kicker there is it's only after closing and be gone before 7:30 am 

We parked in a lot of fairgrounds over the years some even have free electricity
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:11:28 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »

RJ,
It would be neat to know there was a Wally World coning up on the Garmin GPS, have the
NUVI 1350, hope it has the capability.  any idas /
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: