Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB For Bunks  (Read 865 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »

I am currently looking into providing storage and power to each of the kids bunks.

I was going to hard wire in some fans, reading lights and speakers into each bunk.  Now that I have been thinking about this... (look out...brain at work here) that in place of that, I will use hard wired USB ports around the head of the bed.  This way he kids can use USB powered fans, lights and speakers.  this will give them the opportunity to buy whatever type of usb device that they want and set them up in the locations that suit  their preference.  If they want (3) fans then they can do that.  If they want lots of light they can opt for that.  Music wont be a problem as they can charge their phones and mp3 players using the same ports.  

I'd like to ask here first and see what you all thought of this or if anyone has already attempted this and what the outcome was.

2nd thing is that I am also looking for some ideas for parts and pieces that look sleek and make it easy to wire each bunk into the 12v house battery system.  

Thanks Guys!

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:25:50 AM »

I wired in a surface mount light and a cigarette lighter plug in each of my bunks.  There wasn't the plethora of USB stuff like there is today when I did this.  You might consider both USB and a cigarette lighter since USB might go out of style and the cigarette lighter 12 volt plus probably isn't going anywhere.  I would reconsider the speaker in each bunk as the kids are probably going to listen to their own music on ear buds/headphones instead.

Blue Sea makes a 12/24 volt USB outlet: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual-Charger-Socket/dp/B0082CXEI8  It appears this outlet will not do high speed charging as the pins are not connected together like they need to be for high speed charging.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »

Sean,

I put one duplex 120VAC outlet(GFCI) and one 12 VDC receptacle at each  of the four bunk locations.  I figured that give each person options vs hardwiring stuff in place.

Steve Toomey

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:32:20 AM »

I could be wrong, but I am pretty certain that the standard USB bus carries 5V rather than 12V.  So you'll still need a converter to tie into the 12V house system.

EDIT:  Yep, 5V standard.  Here's a useful link that talks about wire gauge, how to short the data channels for extra amperage on the power circuit, etc.  http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Cheers, John
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:36:57 AM by dukegrad98 » Logged
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:48:49 AM »

I was in my local electrical supply house the other day and they had a box of regular 15A/20A duplex outlets with built in USB ports, they did the voltage conversion and supplied the correct DC power to the port.  I thought that was very cool for a high end new build.  I will probably put a couple in my bus, it would make charging phones extremely clean.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
arutkow

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 06:28:25 AM »

Something like this?  Smiley

http://amzn.to/1e9XDkI

I saw these at the tables/booths at a Dunkin Donuts.

arutkow

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 06:29:09 AM »

Sorry I couldn't find a bigger picture. lol

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:07:10 AM »

Yep, but the ones I saw had two USB's and two AC outlets and were 20 amp capable (with the cross tang for 20 amp).  Regardless I think they are a great idea and starting to get commonly available.  I saw them at the home outlet store yesterday.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »

I'm building a charging station in our bus and just went through the internet search for charging USB ports. Just a few things I learned:

Apple devices like Ipod, Ipads and Iphones require special wiring in the USB port for charging. So be sure if you buy a USB port be sure it specifically indicates it will work with Apple. This is especially true for the Ipad which will not usually charge fully on a standard laptop or computer USB port. That's why the Ipad comes with a 120v AC adapter and special USB cord.

You can buy multi-port USB adapters, but be sure they are 'charging' ports not just data ports.

Most USB ports only support 5 volts DC and 1 amp of current. An Ipad requires 2.1 amps and finding a charging port that supports 2.1 amps is not easy. I found some hard-wire devices here: 

http://www.12voltdesigns.com/Products/USB_Charge_Cable_USBCC2.php

I bought six of these as they work with Apple devices (w/o computer connection) and so will charge any USB type device.

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: