Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 06:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for information on converting a 892 to cummins big cam in a 83 prevost  (Read 2739 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »

With my AMGeneral transit, it isn't very aerodynamic since I still have the above windshield hump where the sign used to be. I drive at 60mph which is 1900rpm. I get 6 without gen running; 5.2 during summer with A/C and genset running; 4.8 pulling car with A/C and genset running. I weigh 31,000lbs and 34,750lbs with the car.

I'm hoping with the truck to get 7-8. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jray

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »

Thanks  R J.                 
 for your comeback. and advice I pulled the inspection plates on the side of the block to see if I could find the source of the antifreeze one cyl. has a crack in the head. a year ago I had a stud break leaving 2 valves closed  creating heat in that cyl. drilled the broken stud and replaced it'it worked fine untill now.it shows up as cracked. the rest of the cyl.look perfect no carbon the injector patterns are perfect .found a good used head having it magnifluxed and reconditioned. I have been a cat and cummins fan for years the reason for the conversion inquiry. the silver 92 has low milage and at 475 hp. does a good job. thanks for the advice the hiccup was much cheaper fix.    Jim.                                             

Jim& sherry Pagnotta
 83 prevost 92/754
Priest river Idaho
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 02:06:19 AM »

If the head doesn't work out for you I have 5 used and 1 new head for the 92 series also I know of a shop in Phoenix that does WW Williams machine work he will rebuild the head to the original DD specs for 450 each fwiw

Life is short drink the good wine first
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »

Been rereading some of the posts, and laughed when I came across the one from TomC regarding the sound of the 12V turbo. On mt first test up the mountain, had been following a new Kenworth with the new Cat 460E and a new Ravens aluminum flat bed (Empty, big arch no sides, just a bare unit).  we got into a little tussel, I went by him about 10 mph faster than he, when he asked what in hell I was running in the old bus, I told him it was wore out 318, I am certain he bent up the steering wheel as he was clearly unhappy with his new Cat 460E.  Great joy on my end, and as we all know a good running 12V can be impressive.  Guess I should have fessed up, but let him stew !

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: