Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 04:47:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question on A Eaton 12 Speed Ultra-Shift  (Read 1496 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:52:38 AM »

Ken,I believe it depends on the drivers and the local with the clutches I was talking to my neighbor yesterday that runs dump trailers on the highway some things he likes about the Eaton Ultra-Shift some he doesn't the clutch every 200,000 miles he said was the part he didn't like they break the pressure plate, I'll ask my friend at Swift they have 1000's of the Eaton's
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:10:28 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 05:35:44 AM »

I'm beginning to get a little bit of the usual weep between my engine and bell housing. So at some point I'll have to reseal it. That means of course I'll have the transmission out. Just thinking should I be in a hurry? I'm really satisfied with the operation and performance of the Ultrashift but I'm interested in the Allison TC10. I can't find any dimensions for the TC10. I'm really limited on size. For example the newer Utrashift Plus won't fit because the bell housing adds about an inch of length.

Thanks,
Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 06:36:09 AM »

Ken,I know the weight is about the same I don't know about the size they look to be about the same as a B500,does the Ultra Shifts have 2 speeds in reverse like the TC 10 ? 

That is something I noticed in Arrows TC 10's they only have 1 reverse speed while the TC 10 TS has 2 I can't see the need for 2 reverse speeds but I am not a trucker either  Roll Eyes

Life is short drink the good wine first
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29:02 AM »

The Ultrashift I have has a 2 speed reverse, it normally goes into reverse 1. It backs up a little smoother if you manually select 2nd, but I think that's because the clutch slips a little more before it hooks up. I see no need for a 2 speed reverse for my use. A lower speed reverse 1 would be better. If the TC 10 is larger in most any direction it won't work for me. I think it's a great Ideal and I'd like to try one if it'll fit. Then I would have a bus that would be good at the drag strip or on the street. I think the Ultrashift I have is the same thing the truckers call a Super 10 except it has the centrifugal clutch, XY shifter motors and the electronics to make it work. That will give you an ideal of the size.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »

Clifford, I went back and looked at my notes and them did call it a TC-10TM for intercity use only. I just went on Allison's site and they don't say anything about it they call it a TS for city and highway use.

Ken I think I have my Eaton book is packed somewhere. I still have several box's of books pack from our last move, But after what tom said I don't think you would want one wit the torque converter anyway.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »

The most recent series of UltraShift Plus that uses an electronically controlled clutch-the X-Y shifters no longer need to be replaced at 300,000mi. Instead, they are supposed to go the full length of the 5yr/500,000mi warranty period with no maintenance. The 10spd UltraShift Plus has more then enough gears for bus use. But-if I were getting back on the road and buying a new truck, I'd order it with the 18spd UltraShift Plus since the 18spd has an extra low gear (14.4) and order with a 2.53 rear end ratio. The only thing you have to be concerned with is startability. Once rolling, the transmission will take care of everything else. At least with driving trucks, gone are the days of sticking it in overdrive and not having to down shift going over small hills-at least if you want to get maximum fuel mileage. By the way, with 2.53 gears, 517rpm super singles and the 18spd, that would give an 75mph cruise of 1194rpm-great for running light weight. Just down shift one, and your cruising at 75mph at 1406rpm-which is perfect for the DD engines. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: