Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 01:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAUGE WIRING  (Read 942 times)
Paul

Will it ever be done?

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »

The engine shutdown or buzzer did not work on our Bus when we purchased it. I have installed a light and buzzer for oil pressure and one light and buzzer for water temperature. These are 12 Volt with all new wiring from sending units to buzzer and lights.

Is there a way to stop the buzzer on the oil pressure at start up until the oil pressure is up and then work if the oil pressure drops?

Input on this

Paul

Paul
http://www.incredibus.com
1988 MCI 102A3 /8V92 /740 /10" Roof Raise
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

That oil pressure buzzer would only be on at start up for a couple of seconds or 3 until the press comes up, which should be really quickly. You could have a switch to turn it off, and then another buzzer to remind you to turn the switch back on, LOL.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »

That oil pressure buzzer would only be on at start up for a couple of seconds

Yeah, I can't look at my bus quick enough to see oil pressure under 50 at startup (OK, that's a little bit of exageration, but I swear that the "groan" from the starter hasn't died away before it's up to 50).  My bus is a 4-stroke, may be different from yours; I don't have a buzzer and I do have a gauge.  What does drive me crazy is the air system buzzer (it takes a few seconds to build up enough air to switch off the warning horn) and I'd like a timer or whatever like you're talking about but it's an important safety thing. I guess the speed at which it goes off tells me something about how quick the bus is building air.
    I have a "neutral" light on my bus.  I wonder if I could rig a relay to turn off the air warning horn while it's in neutral?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
oltrunt

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »

Thats a cool idea.  All you would need is a 5 terminal automotive relay. You'd wire the coil portion of the relay to the light output of the neutral switch and then wire the buzzer through the normally closed terminals of the relay ( a continuity tester makes it easy to determine which terminals are normally closed).  When in neutral the light voltage would activate the relay coil and cause the normally closed circuit to open thus shutting off the buzzer until the vehicle was shifted into gear at which time the buzzer would behave normally. Cool   Jack
Chuck Hancock

1986 Prevost Liberty

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 07:06:42 PM »

You can always put a time delay relay in the circuit.  I have one on my generator that let's it start and only engages the low oil pressure shutdown after 5 seconds.  Makes for a faster start.

Chuck & Beth Hancock
Ridgefield,  Ct
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »

I have a low oil pressure cut off so if my pressure drops below 10 psi it shuts down.  I have a momentary switch on the dash I have to hold to over ride the shut down until the oil pressure comes up. My switch is NO and connected to a relay. I hold the button and count. If I get to 5 and don't have pressure yet I would guess there to be a problem but I usually get pressure at about three or four.

Just part of my start up procedure. Hold the oil over ride and push the start button the engine fires right up and I watch the oil gauge.

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »

How long does it take for the oil pressure to rise? I would think it should only take a second or two. Where did you plumb these into the engine? What is the cut in-off psi for the buzzer?

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 05:57:20 AM »

A sensor is better than the old type pre set pressure switches IMO they are not hard to make work on the Kysor shut down systems most buses have 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Paul

Will it ever be done?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

What I did was in stall 24 volt relay for the 12 volt power for buzzer and lights. The relay powers up when the master switch is on, sending 12 volt power to alarm buzzer and light.

Now I do not know witch sending unit is for the oil pressure gauge and is the other sending unit a on off switch for engine shutdown. One unit has one wire and the second has two wires. 

The oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge on the bus works.

First put a ground to the sending units and turn on the master switch to find the right unit, that did not work.

Then remove wire from sending one at a time and the first was the oil pressure sending unit.  Started bus to find this out. It was the unit with one wire.

The second sending unit has two wires, one to ground, the other to the ?  Remove the second wire and installed new wire to the buzzer and light at front of bus. Started bus to check oil alarm system out.

Did the same on the water temperature but did not over heat bus to test. Did ground the wire at sending unit to test.

Paul

Paul
http://www.incredibus.com
1988 MCI 102A3 /8V92 /740 /10" Roof Raise
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: