Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 03:58:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: last wire!!  (Read 1413 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »

#417  12 V ign to ddec IV  on my build.. 2 yrs all wiring destroyed at rear axle in fire different engine from freightlinner.  Will be last one I do--- learned allot.  Could have done without most of it! Just had to share because I have no excuse now not to finish.  Much easier to start with a running Bus!!!  Not to smart to do it from scratch=My conclusion after this adventure.  Was good therapy..  The running gear and suspension is all refurbished . Engine drive train is 12.7 60 series w/eaton 10 sp autoshift. 307 gears. Not perfect  but hope will do the job.. Looks good on paper.  So this is the Happy Dance day in Indiana......Or the new meds...... Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »

Glad to hear it Bob. Hope all goes well with the test run!
Grin  BK  Grin
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:05:11 AM »

Afraid to turn key Roll Eyes  going to trip check all voltage today for the third time definitely to the ign feed .  Then the big question?   Will it move under it's own power?  So if there is a loud boom north of the Ohio soon you know it didn't. Grin    Life is a adventure and is full of ups and downs--we do the best(hopefully on this one) to be going up hill.   Grin

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:43:40 AM »

Were there any diodes used in that wiring for protection of reverse current flow? Just curious, from experience with auto wiring .

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »

You the man Bob. Coach Net is your friend.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »

417 wires to run?  Man, that's scary.  So many of the people are doing it successfully but that's a lot!  Did you just replace/repair a burned out harness or did you install a different type of engine/transmission/electronic control system?   Thanks for the info,  BH  NC  USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »

Bruce, that is a wire number not the amount of wires like 988 is digital output they only have a 30 pin connection from the OEM side

I will tell you what is scary is the 600 page trouble shooting manual for a DDEC 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »

Bruce, that is a wire number not the amount of wires like 988 is digital output they only have a 30 pin connection from the OEM side

I will tell you what is scary is the 600 page trouble shooting manual for a DDEC 

Thanks, Clifford - yeah, THAT's scary!

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »

Actually  wire # 439 is 12 V ign for ddec IV  I forgot # myself I was so excited....There is the approx 30 pin connector but in my case I checked it and the wires were on the wrong pins===  Had to go back all the way to the ECM.  So had to build it from scratch.  I built both harnesses--engine and trans from front to back  aprox 45 ft with twisted pairs and wires plus new lighting etc harness. plus abs to the last bay where there was a plug in connection.  The rear junction box was destroyed( New box built) and I have/am in the process of making all necessary breakers,solenoids,etc there.as needed.  Lots there that are not needed on a conversion as we do them.  I still need to attach tomorrow the signal (I think 906) to the oil pressure gauge then--- start make sure they lite up.  I did verify voltage and continuity. The shifter did come to life on the Eaton when I turned the switch on--good sign..  Good to have the book ---Thanks   Clifford!!   Bob

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »

Actually  wire # 439 is 12 V ign for ddec IV  I forgot # myself I was so excited....There is the approx 30 pin connector but in my case I checked it and the wires were on the wrong pins===  Had to go back all the way to the ECM.  So had to build it from scratch.  I built both harnesses--engine and trans from front to back  aprox 45 ft with twisted pairs and wires plus new lighting etc harness. plus abs to the last bay where there was a plug in connection.  The rear junction box was destroyed( New box built) and I have/am in the process of making all necessary breakers,solenoids,etc there.as needed.  Lots there that are not needed on a conversion as we do them.  I still need to attach tomorrow the signal (I think 906) to the oil pressure gauge then--- start make sure they lite up.  I did verify voltage and continuity. The shifter did come to life on the Eaton when I turned the switch on--good sign..  Good to have the book ---Thanks   Clifford!!   Bob 

I pretty much in awe of all that work, Bob.  Congrats - I hope that everything goes well from here on out and you've chased the gremlins out of it!  Thanks for the info,  BH

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

One suggestion Start with a runnin  Bus!!!!!!!   1200$  bus=== lots   lots of labor and well learnin--  education I could have done without...   I can find the page the wire numbers are on now and they /even new ones are all tattoo ..and color coded.  Better yet start with a RUNNIN BUS!!

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »

You go buy the install/app manual from DD. It is about 3" thick. You start reading and realize that in the end all you need is the pin out from the ecm to control it all!! It is a lot easier than the manual makes it to be, but one wire in the wrong place will make you scratch your head for weeks!!LOL
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »

Did it start?  Did it move?  That's what I want to know...   Grin

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »

One wire in the wrong place then you start reading the 600 pages of trouble shooting for the DDEC Roll Eyes I prefer the KISS system that being compression,fuel,air,water and oil it runs
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:36:05 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 01:42:05 PM »

If not driving at night isn't all you need is 1 wire to the starter and a ground!...

Dave5Cs

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: