Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need more heat.  (Read 7677 times)
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »

Hey Clifford, what's a March pump?

March is a brand of super reliable, quiet, magnetic coupled impeller pumps.  All moving parts are special plastic with Buna seals for no corrosion.  

Oh, and I was eyeballing those great jars of canned fruit on the shelf as well!  Yum! 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:58:19 PM by Hobie » Logged
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »

Never had a problem with the snow on the dish lol the wind blew it clean each time  Grin

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »

Scott -  love the winter camoflauge on your bus.  Is that a pic of heather staining the cabinets?  Cherry?  When we had to heat our house we found that the oil filled heaters put off the most heat out of the 8 different heaters we tried from Walmart.

Cliff - we were blessed with a jar of those heather canned peaches.  I wish we had more than one cause I'd trade you for bus parts as we cruise through AZ this winter.  Those MI peaches are the best thing I ever put in my mouth.  The Bennett's were going nutz canning when we were there.  Like 10 hours straight morning till night.  Tons of peaches flying  everywhere.  I'm thinking a MI bus rally next summer...

Andy -  Love the way you insulated your Eagle for the winter.  My wife and I just can't make sense of you northerners having wheels in the snow though Wink 

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »

So by using a water heater as the source and pumps, fans and radiators and assuming you have a 120v 15 amp circuit, you'd have 1500 watts and a limit of 3450 btu's, correct?  Looks like that's going to be the limit for each 15 amp circuit you have available.  Not a lotta heat, but looks like some have managed to do in some pretty cold climates.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »

Same old winter stuff Scott; heat rises.  If your there all winter and have anything you can lay on roof and keep down for extra insulation(black tarp) that's a plus. Window open to sun.  rug on floor.  keep wind out  from under bus--it will suck heat out every little crack.. cuddle up my friends..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »

Crazy, The MC7 creation I built, used carpet with the rubber backing stapled to wall for quick/'cheap wall covering, both sides and across the rear closet, so keeping it warm was very easy with an electric baseboard heater about 6' long on 240 VAC, also had the LPGas 30,000 btu hot air furnace.  when driving in the -5f temps, stayed comfy, so I guess I just dont get it ? Huh
Cooling was also easy with 2 roof a/c units, just lucky I guess.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »

Ok this sounds insane to me, but I read a guy talking about heating his bus with a wood burning stove? Any ideas about doing this?

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
challenger440

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »

I use a Rinnai propane furnace to heat my mc7.  I mounted it right behind the co-pilot seat, facing towards the back of the bus.  I also have an electric heater in the bedroom.  Its on a thermostat. I only heat the bedroom just before bed and before I get up in the am.

It's been a typical fall here in MT with temps between 45 during the day and averaging in the 0's to 10's  at night.  And an occasional -5 to -10 below just for good measure. 

I've been averaging about 2 gallons per day of propane. Price around $2. per gallon.

When it gets down to the -10 to - 20 range the furnace runs pretty much continuous.  It's livable but I wouldn't recommend it for  folks that like it toasty.

If I shut the door to the bathroom and bedroom it is much easier to heat the front living quarters.  But it gets damn cold in the back.

If I had an easy source for wood I would be happy with that as well (I think).

John M.

John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »

Chuckle. Yes, we canned peaches pears applesauce and grape juice this summer. Going to look at getting a wall mounted propane furnace. Going to buy 1 more space heater too. Those two additions together should do the trick. Also, as someone mentioned, near the ceiling, it's toasty,  but near the floor it's cooler...not cold because of the luggage bay heaters but cooler. So a ceiling fan to circulate and mix the air will help. Had 6 people in the bus today when some friends came over. All that body heat helped haha. we better have kids soon although something tells me a space heater is still cheaper haha. We've considered placing foam boards as a skirt around the bus. Might do that this year. Never needed to before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 03:58:58 AM »

Ok this sounds insane to me, but I read a guy talking about heating his bus with a wood burning stove? Any ideas about doing this?

Skoolie's do it all the time.  Smiley
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 05:11:25 AM »

That's really cool. Have seen a lot of different skoolies with wood stoves. I've considered a tiny stainless pellet stove but they are expensive as all get out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 05:55:55 AM »

I wouldn't want the mess of a wood stove in a bus.  People who advocate wood heat need to spend a few winters using it to appreciate just how messy it really is.  However, there are some really neat diesel stoves used in the boating world that could easily be incorporated into a bus conversion.  They are compact and (compared to wood anyway) clean.  I'd take a hard look at one of them long before I put in a wood stove.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 06:03:33 AM »

Do those tiny little windows really make that much difference?  My windows make a big difference, but I have six 3 foot by 4 foot windows.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 06:07:31 AM »

The price of fire wood and permits to cut your own with the hassle of splitting and the storage propane or diesel would be cheap plus the areas where wood stoves are banned at certain times of the year would be a killer to me and I love my fireplace I just don't care for all the associated hassles burning wood now

It is sad one has listen to news to burn your fireplace indeed who ever heard of a catalytic converter on a fireplace or a wood stove Huh
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:24:44 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 06:29:52 AM »

Just saw these on ebay  What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Heater-Furnace-Gasoline-or-Diesel-28-Volt-dc-Military-Grade-15000-btus-/200954983775

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: