Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 04:51:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - 4106 sticking accelerator cable (near Austin, TX)  (Read 1507 times)
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »

RJ and Tom C

First bus was a 4108 with the 'I will try to destroy you soul' wet clutch and the dammable Spicer 4 speed. I learned slowly but I learned. Then the throttle cable failed. Was much less expensive to go with the air throttle. Ahhh! a new curve of learning. Air throttle, wet clutch, spicer and cold temps make for interesting shifts until things are warmed up. At an outside temp of 10F that takes a while. Drove over a half mile in  1st until I could finally get into 2nd. Engine was a toasty 150F after being warmed with the block heater and Webasto.
Point of the story is that you can marry the worst of all transmissions and clutches with an air throttle and still have love. But only when everything is warmed.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »

Full synthetic lube with correct viscosity in the trans will be beneficial, as the shift characteristics won't vary nearly as much.Later 4905's, at least, had counter shaft brakes, which would help slow down gears initially, but were worn out prematurely by inadvertently activating it when changing gears, by fully depressing clutch between gears.
   Most conversion owners would be better served with an automatic these days. Mastering the downshift climbing a grade or the need to drop two gears instead of one rounding an intersection while fighting manual steering(and no tach) is clearly a challenge to an unseasoned operator. And adding wet clutch, air throttle. worn shift linkage, warped flywheel, high reverse, starting out on a grade.........

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »

Chessie,

Mastering the downshift climbing a grade or the need to drop two gears instead of one rounding an intersection while fighting manual steering(and no tach) is clearly a challenge to an unseasoned operator. And adding wet clutch, air throttle. worn shift linkage, warped flywheel, high reverse, starting out on a grade.........

That's why we now have a 102A3. Came with the auto. At 70+ I do love the auto when in traffic and parking. But for the open road and control in the hills I'll take the stick. A nice five speed and no wet clutch.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: