Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 07:22:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a Turbo Rebuild  (Read 1269 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »

Hey All -

Ive got some questions about getting the Turbo rebuilt on our bus.  Need some ideas for the best way to approach this and some suggestions for a good shop to do the work.

For starters - Ive attached a picture of the ID plate on the turbo. Also a picture of the engine that shows a side view of the turbo and a picture of the engine that you can see the oil buildup on the pipe coming out of the turbo that goes into the engine (intercooler?).  Im assuming that the ID plate has some information about the make/model and setup of the turbo.  If there are any views that would help answer some questions, let me know and I'll post more pics.

Here are the questions that I have -
1. Costs - Ive been told this can be way up in the thousands to have the turbo rebuilt? Is this realistic?
2. How long should it take the turbo off get it rebuilt and put back on? 
3. Is there a "newer" model of turbo that we can put on?  How specific are the parts/pieces that we need to replace?  Are they common or hard to find?

The turbo is currently working but noticeable issues are - the turbo is slow to speed up (smoke on acceleration), oil is leaking around the (seal?) and at the pipe coming out of the turbo into the engine, while driving at speed we will get little puffs of black smoke - so faint that if you are not paying attention you probably couldn't see them but they are there.  I think this is from the oil leaking at the seal. 

In the condition it's in, we could probably drive it for a while before we would have serious problems with it but I'd rather start getting things squared away now and take care of it in my own time.

I know nothing about fixing or repairing turbos, only a basic understanding of how they work so any insight is appreciated.

Thanks again guys.

-Sean

Model - TV7101
Part Number 5103760
Serial Number 03163-8127

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »

Just exchange it you will need to know the injectors size to make changes that is a good turbo for a 6V92 you can change the a/r on the hot housing to make it spool faster but you give up the high end torque that is your choice low end torque or high end torque which ever suits you best

Exchange turbos are no where close to thousands of dollars more like the 600 dollar range

Give Tom a call at Turbo ReSource in Lake Havasu @928-505-4610 he will have one in stock lol he would love to sell one for thousands of dollars

good luck
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:50:38 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »

Here are some 6v92  and Gilliig schoolie parts.   Located in Santa Barbara, CA    4 pallets of parts.  Open up the excel file and you will see the list of parts.  2 Turbos included, aftercooler, etc.   Current bid is $300

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,ca/auction/view?auc=1029430

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »

You have a relatively easy turbo access. Sans any frozen/broken bolts, you should be able to get the turbo out in about an hour. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

Clifford, that's an Eagle engine compartment? And you prefer them to GMC's?  Huh Huh Looks like a good money maker repair businesses.
 You could get a Reliabilt turbo from any DDC dealer if the other options don't suit. Their price could be higher though.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »

Yep that is 10s a little tight Chessie but believe or not you can still stuff a 8v92 in there without much trouble sets up right and straight too Roll Eyes bend over and look on the right side and you can see the starter
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:51:11 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »

Cliff -  I think it took all of 10 minutes to bolt the starter on.  And I'm sure youve seen the air filter video! :-D

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »

LOL Cheesie owns a sidewinder he gives me a bad time but it's all it fun

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »

Lets talk about clutch or drop box... oh wait...I don't know where it is on a GMC. Roll Eyes

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »

No they missed out on that part but it makes in easy to install a modern engine with a Allison World 6 speed I don't see many GM with a 60 series and a b500  I have seen a lot of clutches on Gm's come to think of it both wet and dry  Undecided 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:42:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »

The items you name thinking the turbo is bad are normal.  If you had a turbo with the bearings and seals going out you would have oil coming out the exhaust clamps.  The thing that struck me right off was that the intake hose on the turbo inlet is way too far out and probably not making a good seal.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »

I am thinking he thinks it going bad because of the lag but that is normal on that turbo with the 1.39 A/R at low end or it could be dragging he needs to pull both pipes and check for play or shinny metal

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »

I guess some don't like two cycles or figure to go to a 4 cycle for great fuel mileage when their existing engine is worn out Cost isn't as much of an issue then. Maybe a 60 makes sense in this case. They hardly need anything done to them so appropriate when so much is difficult to access. And I can't believe how heavy some of these coaches are. No wonder they want 5 to 6 hundred horses. It needs remembering that 50 and 60 series are discontinued engines and in a few years parts will start to be more difficult to obtain, just like the two cycles. But hey, why worry now..it depends on your age. Mine will do me till it's time to hang up the keys. Unless I get the hots for a newer Prevost.... Grin

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 05:10:17 PM »

Geoff-

Are you referring to the location of the clamp holding the intake hose on the turbo inlet? 

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »

The items you name thinking the turbo is bad are normal.  If you had a turbo with the bearings and seals going out you would have oil coming out the exhaust clamps.  The thing that struck me right off was that the intake hose on the turbo inlet is way too far out and probably not making a good seal.

--Geoff

I am thinking he thinks it going bad because of the lag but that is normal on that turbo with the 1.39 A/R at low end or it could be dragging he needs to pull both pipes and check for play or shinny metal

I agree, unless the symptoms you mentioned have gotten worst lately and even then they could be caused from something else. Remove the air cleaner side and have an experienced person check the free play. It only takes a few minutes.

If I remember correctly I used a .96 or maybe a 1.08 on the exhaust side.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: