Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 01:15:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a Turbo Rebuild  (Read 1509 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

Geoff-
Are you referring to the location of the clamp holding the intake hose on the turbo inlet? 

I am certain he is, there is a possibility (one worth checking) the horn that the intake hose seats on is not very wide, you could be clamping it on the edge, which could be allowing in dirt.....that would not cause a power loss (imo)....quick check...squirt a nickels worth of ether at the air intake side of your turbo....and listen.

A turbo usually makes a screechy noise going out...them nothing.
pull the easy side and  look for chipped or malformed fins...see if there is shaft play. That turbo looks like it is on bolts vs. studs, you should be able to peak at the hot side easily too. there isn't much to a turbo. spins free, it's all there, it should be good.
IF you need one (a turbo) get an exchange....you have no way of knowing the condition otherwise...my .02 and worth about that.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »

Here's another thought, go to a turbo shop and ask to look at (feel) what a properly setup turbo feels like...big or small they pretty much all run on the same tolerances, then go feel yours...you really don't need much more experience than that, again, imo.
Unless you want a different power response....then I would listen to anyone but me.....Smiley
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »

Looks like the clamp is a couple of inches out on the hose from the turbo housing and it has been tightened down so much that the hose is noticeable reduced in size.  That would restrict the air
flow and disturb the air flow into the compressor side. I would remove that hose section and see if the hose recovers if not replace that section. 
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »

are you serious ? Huh Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Huh Huh Huh Huh
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »

Seangie, I just sent you a pm.

Don
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »

Maybe this will help some. They are talking about car turbos, but the info is pretty much the same:

Turbo Turbocharger Shaft Play

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: