Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laminate Flooring - good choice for a bus?  (Read 1737 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 07:28:43 PM »

Right - this is a vinyl plank, not a laminate. 

I see the issue with a floating floor and a crash.  However, most of the floor area will be support by objects bolted down to the frame through the floor.  So, in reality not much of the floor will be truly floating and probably won't go anywhere.  At least, that is my thinking at the moment on the matter...

I started researching the Earth Werks brand.  Interesting so far.  have to find a dealer ...

Thanks.
georgemci102a2

1988 MCI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »

The earth works was my first choice,but every time i tried to order it they were out and didnt know when they would have it in my color.I went with the(thick free floating) flooring in the gally and head area only and have no problems yet.Some people thought it was real tile.As for crash goes,i wont be thinking about my flooring.Probably just scream OH MY at the end......... George.

1988 mci 102a2/6v92ta/Grovetown,Ga.
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 04:05:52 AM »

Brian our bus has a wood laminate floor and it has held up up perfectly. Of course I don't know what kind but it's been in there since 2004 and no issues with temps or scratches. And we have a dog too.
Fres

Fred Thomson
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »

We used laminate (not vinyl) wood flooring which is made of a composite wood/paper fiber with a nice bamboo top.  Like Jim and Dave said earlier - it holds up great, takes a beating, has been in 90-100 temps with no AC (stored outside) and cold temps (in the teens) and it looks the same as the day it was installed.  

Like Jim and Dave said - get water in it (soaked) and it will never dry out and with any humidity at all it can easily mold if it gets soaked.  You won't see the mold until you pull the boards apart.

Brian -  I'd go with a vinyl laminate tile like what you are looking at.  Don't worry about the temps.  Its the same vinyl they use for siding on houses.  I'd leave the laminate in the bus for a day or two before you install so there is no temperature change when you install it.  Do it on a dry day and use a good vapor barrier underneath and you'll be fine.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

Brian  I have  water radiant floor heat 4 zones and when on the road and the heat is on the temp can go up to 180 deg. if I want lots of heat and have had no problems with the laminate at all . 

dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

Thanks guys for all the thoughts.  I'm probably going to move forward with the vinyl plank.  I may glue some of them down to help combat the flying floor syndrome mentioned earlier.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: