Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 07:38:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get your bus out of the mud with a winch!  (Read 3232 times)
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »

A good pilot does not get himself into a situation where he has to show how well he can fly,  same for a bus - truck driver, smart ones stay out of problem areas by being aware of what - where they are.
If all else fails, rent a Tank Retriever  Grin
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »

My guess is a 12,000 pound wench would do it. I have never tried this, so its JUST a guess!  Cheesy 

I realize I'm a little late to this conversation but if my wench weighed 12,000# I'd just ask her - very nicely mind you - but I'd just ask her if she would please pull me out.  Since my wench weighs a lot less than that she's not an option.

No way in hell would I expect a 12,000 pound winch to pull a bus if it was really stuck.  The real problem once you get any big rig thoroughly mired is suction.  Once the whole belly of the unit is sitting on wet ground it takes a phenomenal amount of pull to break it free from the ground. As many have already said, the best cure is prevention because when you get serious about pulling you can pull really big pieces of iron apart.  Pretty well every spring one of my drivers would get something really truly stuck.  We could always count on something unexpected flying apart on the unit that had been stuck at some point after we got it back on the road.  Don't get stuck. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »

My mc9 was stuck when I first bought it, it was raining like crazy all week.

Towed it out with a dump truck. Came right out.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
bansil

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »

The real problem once you get any big rig thoroughly mired is suction.  Once the whole belly of the unit is sitting on wet ground it takes a phenomenal amount of pull to break it free from the ground.  

That's what explosives are for

of course tanks are a little tougher than a bus Kiss

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »

Well, it happened. Let my Scenic set too long. Tried to move it and before I knew it, dug it inpretty bad. Really didn't take much either, Just a few failed attempts to move it with various what nots crammed in front of the tires.
So after 6 hours with a shovel, bottle jack, bricks and steel ramps, she finally drove out at idle power. Fun. Next for me, concrete pad to park on, and a snatch strap for when I'm on the road...if I ever reach that point!
Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »

Quick, someone go get stuck!

Ok I'm stuck, but I'm sure a full tank of fuel will get me out. Send money    Grin

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: