Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 01:06:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire Extinguisher Thought  (Read 725 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »

I have a couple of old extinguishers.  A chemical one I have has lost all its pressure.  I unscrewed the top and found the powder inside is now a semi-solid.  I once looked into getting a Coldfire suppressor but never did.  As I understand it, one can buy Coldfire in a 13 oz aerosol can or can by the agent, which you then mix with water, and fill and pressurize the appropriate canister of your choice.

My thought was to empty out the expired extinguisher I have, drill it, install a Schraider valve, and use it to load the Coldfire agent.  What's wrong with that plan?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:53:17 AM »

...  What's wrong with that plan? 

If the extinguisher you have has a pressure gauge, and it holds pressure (the ColdFire might leak at a different rate to the more pressure it was made for), I can't think of anything.  I'd ask ColdFire technical service, tho.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »

Good suggestion although I would have expected that for liability reasons they would say absolutely no.  The guy I spoke to was very reasonable.  The problems that he brought up though dealt with the possibly different spray characteristics of the unit I was intending to use.  He was nice enough to offer to evaluate the unit for Coldfire use if I sent him a picture.  I may just put this on the back burner (pun alert) for now though.

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

Bigger might just be better, considering the application.  CO2 as it does not leave quite the mess. (which might be worse than the small fire)  Consider the largest one you can physically handle, (pick up and employ) plus consider mounting two (2) of them, one by the front door, and the other by the auxiliary door or secondary  escape route.  HB of CJ (old retarded firefighter coot) Smiley
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:25:29 PM »

A local guy is selling a year old one of these very cheaply.  It looks like a good starter.

http://www.heiserusa.com/Fire_Extinguishers_&_Chemical/Badger_Fire_Extinguishers_&_Recharge/Badger_Cartridge_Operated_Fire_Extinguishers/466523

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: