Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:40:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inside Parking in Southern Ohio  (Read 1479 times)
DKO

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »

I know that this is a long shot especially on very short notice. We are supposed to be in Ohio (our home area) by Sunday night or Monday depending on this nasty weather. We are scheduled to fly out of Dayton Thursday morning for a short mission trip to Mexico.

As of this afternoon the weather in our home town is supposed to be 2 degrees Thursday morning. I park about five miles from my parents when home and my Dad keeps a great eye on things but 2 degrees is pretty extreme. I can not expect him to move in and monitor everything 24 hours a day as I would.

It would be awesome to find a heated building to park in where I could pull in, plug up and not worry about it while I am in the southwest corner of Mexico trying to sing and preach.

I am 45' long and about 12' 6" tall. Any ideas? I have searched the internet but have not found anything but I am hoping I overlooked something in plain sight. Almost any where in the Dayton, Cincinnati area would work.

DKO

Home is where you go when there's no place else to go!
1995/96 Prevost XL Vantare
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »

DKO - here are 2 that I Googled. We trust God will work things work out for you.

http://www.westmiltonrvstorage.com/
http://dayton.craigslist.org/prk/4196993289.html

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »

Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

I found two by searching for "Luxury RV storage." The one is Springfield has a waiting list a mile long and I have not talked to anyone from the one in Harrison, Ohio.

DKO

bronson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »

You might be in luck, In Wilmington Ohio ( a little east but in between Cincinnati and Dayton) a local investor bought a factory that recently closed. He is renting inside heated storage space at $1 a foot per month. I dont know if they have spots left. He owns the Equipment Superstore in Wilmington, you should be able to find out about the storage by calling them at 937-382-0941. If they are full I may have a spot in my pole barn 10 miles east of Wilmington. It is not heated and I would have to go measure if we have enough room left.

Gary Bronson
1984-MCI-9
Mount Orab Ohio
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 05:53:16 AM »

I am 45' long and about 12' 6" tall. Any ideas? I have searched the internet but have not found anything but I am hoping I overlooked something in plain sight. Almost any where in the Dayton, Cincinnati area would work.

DKO

Wow! You are HUGE! How do you fit in a pulpit? I am 5' 11" and have problems in some of our village churches here in Mexico. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Grin

What part of Mexico are you coming to? We are based 100 miles North West of Mexico City. We are full time church planters.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »

You might be in luck, In Wilmington Ohio ( a little east but in between Cincinnati and Dayton) a local investor bought a factory that recently closed. He is renting inside heated storage space at $1 a foot per month. I dont know if they have spots left. He owns the Equipment Superstore in Wilmington, you should be able to find out about the storage by calling them at 937-382-0941. If they are full I may have a spot in my pole barn 10 miles east of Wilmington. It is not heated and I would have to go measure if we have enough room left.

Thanks for the tip. Wilmington would be super because I park in Waynesville when I am home.

I called the number you gave me and they put me in touch with the right person. I called them and they are completely full. They did suggest the Clinton County fairgrounds for inside but unheated space. I will call them after I check a few more local leads that have popped up.

Wow! You are HUGE! How do you fit in a pulpit? I am 5' 11" and have problems in some of our village churches here in Mexico. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Grin

What part of Mexico are you coming to? We are based 100 miles North West of Mexico City. We are full time church planters.

Lol. I deserved that. I usually tell folks the bus weighs 46,000 lbs and that is WITHOUT me in it!

I have been keeping track of you work when I can since you and I corresponded earlier this year. We are flying through Mexico City into Tuxtla and then the tent revival is some where near the coast in Chiapas.

DKO

DKO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:12:54 AM »

I found a place in Cincinnati. I plan to move the bus there this afternoon. It is a balmy 11 degrees at this moment and the wind is blowing too. The forecast for low tomorrow morning is now up to 5 degrees.

I will post the details on this place upon my return. Thanks for your help.

DKO

DKO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »

​Well, that did not turn out so good. I took the bus to the indoor heated storage facility in Cincinnati on Wednesday the 11th only to find the entrance door was too short. The facility was advertised as having 14' tall doors and the owner assured me twice that 14' was correct. As I was backing in I could see in my camera and mirrors that it was going to be a close fit. I stepped to the back and had my wife back up until it was obvious. The door was barely 12'.

The owner was standing right there and the look on his face told it all. He felt like an absolute dog. I turned to shake his hand and tell him good bye but it looked like he was going to have a heart attack. He apoligized profusely and insisted on ​paying me for my time and fuel. I refused because ultimately it is my responsibility to check the door height but he was determined.

What he said next was refreshing. He said something like this, sir I'm a businessman and as a businessman I just totally disappointed and let down my customer. I cannot stay in business by treating customers that way. This $100 is the very least I can do besides I would like to help the work you do anyway.

We discussed it some more but he was adamant. I was very disappointed not to get to park the bus inside and hated that we had went all the effort, but I really felt bad for him. He advertised what he thought was true and made and honest mistake yet he was willing to take the blame and make it right as far as possible. I won't post the name of the business simply because I do not want to appear as if I am bashing him at all.​ If I can use any of his business services in the future you can guarantee I will. He really went the extra mile for the customer. God bless him.​

I ended up parking the bus in Waynesville at the church I normally park at when I am home for Christmas. It was 5 degrees when I left the next morning. My Dad and brother kept a close eye on things while we were gone and all was fine with the bus when I arrived home this week.

I am more motivated than ever to find a place to build a bus barn or move SOUTH. Maybe I need to build a building big enough for some indoor heated storage for big rigs. The waiting lists at the existing places seems to indicate there must be some demand for more.

DKO​

Ps. I put the $100 toward the expenses of the Mexico mission trip.​

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »

DKO,

Glad to hear even with the hiccup it was a happy ending!

And yes it sounds like you found a very honest and deserving businessman.

One thing I wonder is was it just the door that was too low? IF YOU HAD been able to get inside was ceiling height 2' taller than the door?

Might call him back and offer to still use the facility if he'd pony up and have the door enlarged. (if the ceiling and walls are high enough a company that does overhead doors regularly can raise the cross beam and add a 24" section to the existing door pretty easy)
Grin  BK  Grin
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »

Yes, I think he will look into raising the door. The building was an existing building when he and his partner started using it for storage. He said they had the doors installed and that they were supposed to be 14'. I would say he has already made a few calls to find out who dropped the ball. The interior height is very tall.

I won't press the issue because I would only use his storage on a limited basis. I travel nearly every week of the year and drive the bus so that my family can go with me and so that I can sleep in my own bed every night. There are times that I have the bus in Ohio in December and need to fly some where else and it would be very nice to have a place to park it inside while I am gone.

My ideal set up is to build a bus barn where I could eventually build a living quarters as well.

DKO

bronson

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »

The barn I have was built with a house/apt in it ( the Garage mahal). I built it in my single days and moved when I got married. Still own it and rent out the house part and store campers in the rest. Measures 40x104 with 2 bedroom apt in one corner. 3-14x14 doors with a drive through bay so I could pull a tractor and trailer in and close the door. Had heat but took shop heater out when I moved. Wish it was closer to my present home so I could work on my bus more easily. Someday I'll build another shop at my present home.

Gary Bronson
1984-MCI-9
Mount Orab Ohio
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »

The barn I have was built with a house/apt in it ( the Garage mahal). I built it in my single days and moved when I got married. Still own it and rent out the house part and store campers in the rest. Measures 40x104 with 2 bedroom apt in one corner. 3-14x14 doors with a drive through bay so I could pull a tractor and trailer in and close the door. Had heat but took shop heater out when I moved. Wish it was closer to my present home so I could work on my bus more easily. Someday I'll build another shop at my present home.

Sounds perfect, Gary. You interested at all in selling? Call me if you would even think about it.
Thanks,

DKO - Davy
316-992-4658

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: