Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 27, 2014, 09:26:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gm pd-4106 glass replacement  (Read 956 times)
AndyyCoulic

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »

Hey guys!
I am looking for the drivers side window, side glass pieces. The glass was smashed out and i am having a lot of trouble hunting down replacement glass. If anyone has or can point me in the right direction to where i could get such, that would be greatly appreciated!

Andyy

1963 gm4106-1761
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:03:52 PM »

Andyy -

Are you looking for the large glass above the toll window next to the driver?  (This glass is also shared with the 4104, 4107, 4108, 4903 & 4905, as are the windshields.)

Or the "D" window glass?

Or one of the four sliders down the side?

Don't know where you've been looking, and not sure of Canadian sources.  Most likely you'll have to get it from a supplier in the States.

Bill Gerrie, who lives in Canada, may chime in with a local source.

Let us know which one you need, and we can better help you source a replacement.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS: FYI, PD4106-1761 was delivered new in April of 1963 as fleet number 1946 to Autobus Saguenay, HQ'd in Montreal, PQ.  This sale was handled through GMC's Canadian Division.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:06:59 PM by RJ » Logged

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
AndyyCoulic

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 01:04:18 AM »

I am in need of all three, the front piece before the toll window, the piece above the toll window, and the D shaped piece after the toll window. I have no issues paying for shipping if i can't find something semi local! Not much for 4106's up here that i know of so i figured this would be a good place to start. Smiley

Andyy

1963 gm4106-1761
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »

A glass shop can cut flat glass if you have a good pattern.
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »

I am in need of all three, the front piece before the toll window, the piece above the toll window, and the D shaped piece after the toll window.

Andy -

The "D" window is flat glass, and any local glass company can cut it for you, providing they can remove the old in one piece.

Sounds like you've got the split driver's window that opens, right?  With that glass, you've got a real challenge, because it's got a double curve to it.  If you want to remain OEM, then you're going to have to find somebody parting out a 4104 or 4106 that's configured the same and use that, as the OEM glass is now made from unobtainium.

All is not lost, however.  Motion Windows, aka Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, WA, makes a replacement unit that many conversion folk use.  It's flat glass, split in half vertically, back half of which is a slider w/ a sliding screen too.  Comes as a complete assembly - remove the OEM and install theirs.  Granted, you lose the ability to open the front half, which may or may not be a preference, but that's the compromise that's available.

http://www.motionwindows.com/

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
AndyyCoulic

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »

Awesome! This is exactly what i needed! Insurance company is covering it, so price range doesnt matter. Thanks again Smiley

Andyy

1963 gm4106-1761
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:33 AM »

Andyy -

As a side note, if you do remove the original double glass driver's window, hang on to it!

The minute you send it off to recycling, there will be another busnut looking for one.

Keep the hardware especially!

If a local glass shop does the work, make doubly sure they don't destroy the frame & hardware taking the old unit out, and insist they hand it back to you once it's out of the coach.  You don't want it going on their recycling pile!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
TedCalvert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 05:02:35 AM »

I'm a little nervous about glass, having had a very bloody personal experience with a storefront window about forty years ago. I realize OEM is unobtanium, but shouldn't this be tempered, at least?  The glass shop may be able to have it tempered, it won't be cheap.
Be safe.

Ted
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »

Here is the place I got my storm windows from  stormtitewindows.com/   90 Hutchings St, Winnipeg, MB R2X 2X1
(204) 272-9046      great windows and there are down the block from you .

dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »

4106 being parted out...

http://www.busnut.com/classifieds/index.php?a=2&b=1150

or possibly a 4104 for parts...

http://www.busnut.com/classifieds/index.php?a=2&b=1236

HTH....Tim

Cawston, British Columbia
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »

... but shouldn't this be tempered, at least?  The glass shop may be able to have it tempered, it won't be cheap.
Be safe.

Ted

Vehicle glass needs to be either toughened or laminated; laminated is easier as laminated glass is just two panes of float glass stuck either side of a plastic sheet and the glass shop can cut it themselves (you just cut both glass panes separately then cut through the plastic sheet with a knife).

Toughened glass is slightly more involved because it needs to be sent off for the toughening process after the glass shop cuts it - but it's common enough to have it done and it's not particularly expensive. I don't know about in the States but the laws here say that full-height domestic windows (that children might run into etc) have to be made of toughened glass, so getting them made is quite common - I had 10 or 12 made myself for a conservatory a few years ago.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: