Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:18:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need repairs in Indianapolis  (Read 6783 times)
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »

Sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself.  It's currently 14 degrees with a wind chill of 0 back home.  Grilling outside now is just a distant memory.  Keep us posted on your adventure.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the moral support.  We knew there would be breakdowns, just not psychologically prepared I guess.  Clifford is right, Larry and Judy are wonderful people that we may have never met had we not broken down.  They took us on a tour of Old Town Albuquerque today and had a great dinner out.  We've enjoyed their company and conversation.  Other than the cost (which we were prepared for - it's almost as old as me!) this has turned out to be a positive.  Once back together, I'll know I've got a reliable drive train.  I also discovered rear inner seal leak while crawling under the bus.  Going to fix that too.  Will keep you all updated as the adventure continues.  No risks, no rewards.
Gordie

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »

Dennis, we need to get together when we get back.  You live less than 20 miles from me.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »

Luke at US Coach sent out parts yesterday via UPS (overnight).  Nothing showed up today.  UPS's main hub in Louisville, KY is socked in by bad weather.  Wouldn't ya know.  Larry welded up the fork fingers and filed smooth as they were worn down about 1/8".  Now we're just waiting for parts.  Hopefully Monday.  Sunny and 54 in Tijeras, NM.  It was well below zero back in MI last night.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

Bummer but you are in good hands Jones will keep you entertained,I don't if you been there but the diner I believe on Central the food is out of this world.

What do you think of Larry's Stanley Steamer the guy has car museum lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »

Keep the updates coming Gordie, glad to hear you are being taken good care of, there must be a reason all this is happening and I am sure this will be one adventure you will probably enjoy reliving for many years down the road many times.  I went on a journey a few years ago with people I never met before, (Mark & Dee Woodward-Aka Elvis-aka Jumpsuitman) to Austin Texas to pick up a Eagle bus they just purchased. we were gone 10 days.  We broke down of coarse, the trip was so darn much fun, My new friends were a blast to get to know and we are all best friends still today. In all it was an adventure I love to relive over and over at rallies and just alone with my wife at times.  You just never know what moments will stand out in your life one day. I even got to go to a museum of one of my country music hero's, (Hank Williams sr.) on this trip which was a real high for me.  It doesn't take much to float my boat as you can see, so reap in the rewards of new friends, keep relaxed and keep us all updated.  Why I even got to see (4 Elvis performers perform at one time at another new friends house and that was a kicker to see) you just never know what will happen in a adventure of events not planned, so take any photos you can and share only what you would want to see someone else go through with us.  
Good Luck,
Gary
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:34:26 AM by Gary LaBombard » Logged

Gary
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »

Clifford, and All
Yes Larry is quite a guy.  Love all his rides, the Stanley, two Fords, Chevy and the IH panel.  He does have a good start on a museum, and that doesn't even count all the 50's heavy trucks.  Went to the Sat. morning "guy" breakfast at at 7:00.  This guy lives every minute.  They loaned us the Jeep, so we could go to town and get groceries.  Then asked us out to a movie.  Teri (wife) is fighting a cold, so we had to pass on that.  Best bad luck I think I've ever had.  I brought parts to assemble my batteries monitor; might do that tomorrow as we've done all we can to prep for the clutch install.  Or, I might see if Larry needs a hand getting his bus ready for their trip.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »

Picking parts up tomorrow at UPS.  Hoping to have it back together by end of the day, and on the road Friday am.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Tim Bookmiller
G.M. 4106 #pd1825

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »

Good luck Gordie ..BTDT  be back on the road and luck to you.
Flatspot

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »

Well Gordie and Teri are back on the road with a new clutch, throw up bearing and bus attached. I'll let Gordie tell the story as this is his thread. But all is well that ends well. Thought that folks would like an update. Good folks and I hope that they come back when the weather is warmer.
I think they are headed towards Cliffords

Larry

Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2014, 07:25:01 AM »

Thanks Larry for the update, yes we are all waiting to hear how relieved I know they must be but it has to be all because of you guys helping them as you did.  Thanks to you and who ever else was involved, including wives too, I am sure something like this that was draining to them at first mentally turned out to be one of the most memorable experiences of their bus adventure and will always be remembered for making your friendship.  can't wait for Gordie to give us a play by play shout.  Thanks again for helping out these great people.
Gary

Gary
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2014, 08:04:31 AM »

Larry call Gordie for me I lost his phone number and this dumb laptop deleted his pm Huh

Life is short drink the good wine first
Flatspot

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2014, 08:43:19 AM »

Clifford
I just talked to Gordie and they are in a RV park in Williams AZ.
They are planning on going on to California and maybe swinging into see you on the flip side.
He pulled out of Zuzax here yesterday and got two exits West and the bus filled up with smoke.
He called 911 and the fire department showed up but the smoke had cleared by that time. I called to check to see if they were on the road when he told me what had happened. I came and put an eyeball on it but could not locate the source of the smoke.
We talked about things and he was pretty discouraged.
We unhooked his house batteries by pulling the main fuse.
He had all the chassis electrical so we suspected the house system.
I followed him several miles and waved him off as I exited to go check on the folks.
He looks real good going down nthe road. The bus tracks straight and the ride height is good. Engine sounds sweet and the only smoke is inside the bus. (couldn't resist) LOL

He said today that he has isolated the source to the refrigerator power cord. That is what smoked. He has an electrical 120V problem that as I understand from what he describes as a main breaker failure.

See you in a few  weeks  if I can get all the business stuff put to bed.

Larry

Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »

LATEST in "The Road to San Mateo"
I'm actually writing a story with that title for my blog.
Got up this morning still feeling pretty anxious - like what's going to happen next.
Talked to Larry about the electrical as noted above.  Decided to fix the electrical when we get to San Mateo.  I'll have good weather and time to get parts, etc.  Drove to Bakersfield (waved at Clifford on the way by Needles) and we're staying at the Orange Grove RV Park tonight.  We're using two 110 extension cords for power for lighting.  I don't think it will be cold enough to require heat tonight.  Got through the mountains without any trouble.  Engine and drive train feel solid.  We're both pretty wiped out.  I'm trying to talk Teri into staying in San Mateo longer than we had planned.  I think getting to Larry's was a one in a million.  We had to salvage the bearing bracket which was so chewed up that there was about 1/16" slop.  Larry brazed it up and turned it on his lathe to about .003 oversized, then heated the bearing and tapped it on.  Nowhere else could I have gotten that kind of help.  Can't say enough  about how great both Larry and Judy are.  I have a lot to pay forward.

My electrical issue is weird.  I have 120v on the feed side of the main breaker, but only 60v on the load side - on both sides of the panel.  I think the refrigerator fried because it was trying to run on 60v.  I have a 15 amp breaker for the frig, and it didn't trip.  Burned the cord up it's entire length.  Once we saw the smoke, first thing I did was throw the main, which stopped the burning, but lots of fumes kept pouring out and the firemen couldn't find the source either.  It wasn't until that night, when we started looking things over that Teri found the toasted frig cord.  At the time the frig was running off the house batteries through a Victron inverter - true sine wave.  I've had the electrical running off my home shoreline and the house batteries for over 6 months, including heating the bus to 62 degrees with the mini splits for at least three months.  Did the trip to North Carolina with no issues.  I'm going to replace the main breaker first.  If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to start a new thread to get all your heads together.  This board is priceless.
Gordie

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
LuckyChow

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »

If you're using the same ground to test both sides, that does sound like a  bad breaker.

Darryl
Smyrna GA
2000 Gillig Phantom
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: