Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 01:01:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maintaining starter batteries  (Read 833 times)
RL

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:39:08 AM »

I have 4 Interstate 12 volt "31-MHD" starter batteries. I'm preparing to store the coach for 8 months. Any suggestions as to what I should buy? They have an estimated rating of 115 amp/hours if that's the correct term, so they are big strong batteries. Being in sunny, praying for rain California I would be interested in information about solar maintainers if anyone has been successful in using that. Thanks.

Bob

1962 PD4106-1546, 8V71, Allison V-730
Birch Bay, Washington
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »

Bob,

Don't know about solar panels. I do know that for almost seven years I have been using a Guest charging unit mounted on the back wall of the engine bay to keep my chassis batteries up. It has a high charge/middle charge/float charge rate. I liked it so much that I installed a second one to keep the house batteries charged up too. All you need is a 30 amp duplex outlet, an extension cord, and a plug wired onto the charging unit.

I don't recall the specific model numbers but expect to go to the bus garage tomorrow and will endeavor to get that info plus some pictures.

Will
steelrails@nc.rr.com

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »

Use a single wire with leads and clamps for each battery post both + and - hook the charger to both ends of the leads + and - all 3 batteries will receive the same amount of charge it's been done like for years you can make a lead  or pay 100 bucks+ for a lead, just size the wire for no voltage drop at the end of the last battery, solar chargers are not that well regulated I would pass on it myself  

good luck
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:08:58 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »

...  solar chargers are not that well regulated I would pass on it myself  
good luck

Yeah, very important point.  If you're going to leave the bus (or batteries, if out of the bus) untouched for 8 months, you're going to want to have a *very* precise charging system.  I trust a good quality 'float charger' but, even in the winter, I like to check to see that everything is OK every 2-3 weeks.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:50:17 PM »

I found a 24V electric moped charger on ebay for $5. I hook it up to turn on 10 min a day. I think these batteries are almost 7 years old, but I have had this system in use for close to 5 years now.

If I were to do it again I would buy a battery tender just to be sure. As for solar panels I would go with the mono-crystalline solar cells. They last a lot longer and are supposed to be more efficient too I think.

I have one of these for a 12V charging system and it works great so far. I have only had it for a couple months though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FOEUI0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 of these in parallel would do the trick but you would need a 24V controller to stop the charge when the batteries are full.

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:09 PM »

Hi All, I bought 2 battery maintianers at harbor frieght, wired individually to each group 31 starter battery, stuck a 4 plex flat trailer connector thru the wall into the bay, wired an opposite trailer flat connector to the two positive/negative wires of each charger, mounted them next to the on/off starter knife switch, ran an extension cord from the bay 110 ac plug, when I throw the starter batteries to off I plug in the maintainers, when plugged into a post, unplugged when running the bus, they have indicator lights on them when fully charged, that I see when throwing the knife switch and pullimg the trailer plug, lvmci...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:27:23 PM by lvmci » Logged

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »

For business reasons, I have my truck in a storage yard. I have a solar battery maintainer that is about 18" square. I have it hooked up to the 4-31 batteries and so far have not had any problems starting the truck-even after sitting for several weeks. Got it at Camping World. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »

If it's only for 8 months, I would simply make sure they are charged, unhook the negative cable, and walk away.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »

Do not use a cheap float charger for that long time, it will dry the cells.

Use some kind of smart charger - I use both Battery Minder and Battery Tender which are the same as far as I can tell after many years use.

I prefer the Battery Minder only because if plugs in directly and eliminates one cord to get tangled, they cost about the same.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 07:11:51 AM »

If it's only for 8 months, I would simply make sure they are charged, unhook the negative cable, and walk away.

I'll second Gumpy, here.  Keep it simple.  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: