Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 08:13:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini-split update  (Read 2411 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2014, 05:45:01 AM »

I finished the mini-split install yesterday.  Turned it on and we have been totally amazed at how much air it moves almost silently.  Even the outside unit is almost impossible to hear standing next to it.  We're impressed!

Then the test.  Here in central Florida we woke to 27 degrees this morning.  Great night to test the heat side of the unit.  I couldn't believe how warm we were during the night.  It easily maintained 74 degrees all night.  The heat was even and comfortable.  The next test will be the next wave of hot weather.

Now my question.  We had 25% humidity during the night.  That's pretty good in a land that is always humid.  But we still have terrible condensation from our windows and roof vents.  This condensation is going to rot my wood and rust my steel if we can't get it controlled.  Any ideas?  We spend our mornings (when it's cold) moving around the coach sopping up water.  This isn't good.  I figured 25% was good but it isn't.  What do I do?  Will a dehumidifier work? 

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »

They don't dehumidify in the heating mode a dehumidifier is the only choice you have or a rain coat @ 34 degrees with 80% humidity that is why a defroster on automobiles has the AC tied into the heat fwiw
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:17:59 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »

Dave try opening a vent and or slightly open a window. Should help get rid of some of it.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:01:51 AM »

Dave try opening a vent and or slightly open a window. Should help get rid of some of it.      Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III   

Right, and everyone knows that hot air rises but not a lot of people know that water vapor is about 70% the density of air (at the same temperature).  So, moisture rises, too*.  Open the highest vent you can -- but be aware, if you have a vent open enough to move a lot of moisture out, you lose a lot of your $$heat$$, too.

(*  OK, it's not really quite that simple in real life since you have a mixture of air and water vapor in any artifically heated volume but it makes a difference and the principle is correct.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:29:36 AM »

Dave, the best investment that I made was buying a small 110v dehumidifier.  You can catch them on sale at Lowes or other box store.   I run it 24/7.   It is amazing how it changes and maintains the humidity level that you set it to.   
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »

Get the kind that has a hose connection for discharge, that way you can let it drain directly outside.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »

Most of the larger units have the hose drain hook up.   I never has used it.  I have the larger unit, with 2 gallons of capacity.  It will run 3 days before it shuts off at the high level limit and that's in the rainy Pacific NW..    Basically, they are closed loop mini heat pumps.   You do net out some heat out in the process.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »

First Ac day close your bus up tight and run the unit around 62(lowest setting ) if I remember rite.  dry it out once.. Might help in future..You  will be surprised how well they draw moisture out.. If you are the type that can't do that.. the part of Florida your in is up and down this time of year .  Fires one week--floods the next..Fire season coming up if I remember correctly--then more rain about 3 months later. 

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »

Dave,
What make and model is your mini-split?   How much power does it take to start and run it?

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »

http://www.minisplitshop.com/store/product.php?productid=261&cat=0&page=1

Right now I can't imagine building a bus with anything other than a mini-split.  We are set to install a second one, but not sure if we will need it or not.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »

http://www.minisplitshop.com/store/product.php?productid=261&cat=0&page=1

Right now I can't imagine building a bus with anything other than a mini-split.  We are set to install a second one, but not sure if we will need it or not.

I had a very negative purchase experience with this website.  I bought three units from them (also Soleus), and when one had a dead screen upon installation, they will not return any of my calls or e-mails.  I would NOT do any kind of business with them again.  Just a heads-up for anyone else thinking about taking the mini-split plunge.

The unit still fundamentally works, but the temperature readout does not work at all. 

Cheers, John
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:56:19 PM by dukegrad98 » Logged

'89 Prevost
Tyler, Texas
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »

Right now I can't imagine building a bus with anything other than a mini-split.  We are set to install a second one, but not sure if we will need it or not.

We also put in miniplits: Two of them. (See details in our bus build thread here: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22081.0

In my humble opinion, you might do great with just one minisplit if:
   1. It is just you and your spouse traveling (more people = more heat generated)
   2. You don't frequent places with temps above 100.
   3. Your bus is well-insulated.  

My two pesos' worth.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »

...Right now I can't imagine building a bus with anything other than a mini-split.  ... 

I was looking at the 12K BTU unit but at a price of $499 for the 9K, it's hard to beat.  I'm sorry to hear about "DukeGrad"'s experience, tho; that's worrying.

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

...  In my humble opinion, you might do great with just one minisplit if:
   1. It is just you and your spouse traveling (more people = more heat generated) ... 

Or if your bus-house is a single story!   

Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »

Or if your bus-house is a single story!   

Ahhh yes. I believe only two buses on these forums are multi-story single family dwellings. And Mine might be one of only a few with a basement bedroom.

Grin

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: