Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:16:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini-split update  (Read 2964 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 04:18:58 AM »

You guys are kidding aren't you to think 9000 btu or even 18,000 btu is going to keep a bus cool going down the road you can insulate all you want too but not a thing one can do about the glass and BTU's are BTU's no matter what unit it comes from

Nothing can beat a automotive type AC when traveling no way can one replace a 30,000 + btu dash air with 18,000 btu AC it's not going to happen IMO

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 06:05:25 AM »

You guys are kidding aren't you to think 9000 btu or even 18,000 btu is going to keep a bus cool going down the road you can insulate all you want too but not a thing one can do about the glass and BTU's are BTU's no matter what unit it comes from

Nothing can beat a automotive type AC when traveling no way can one replace a 30,000 + btu dash air with 18,000 btu AC it's not going to happen IMO

good luck 

Yeah, I think that's right.   My plan is a dash air off the engine (combined with cab heat and defrost) "rolling" with a pair of mini-splits for parked.  It's gonna be expensive but what isn't on these things?Huh

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 06:31:32 AM »

Presently have 3  mini-split  plus prevost drivers air.  Also can close off 1/2 of coach if needed..  It was a high in single digit and they worked Monday.  Fwiw   Still Testing for final opinion...I have installed in my home and cut elect bills by 60%  for HVAC  from  heatpumps.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:48:38 AM »

Presently have 3  mini-split  plus prevost drivers air.  Also can close off 1/2 of coach if needed..  It was a high in single digit and they worked Monday. ... 

Do your mini-splits have a heating coil or is the heating done like a heat pump, Bob.  Glad to hear that they're working well for you.   BH  NC  USA

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »

Mini split are inverter type  heat and ac  also have  aux hot water heat off engine.. did not retain main heating system on bus.  If the mini fail and engine heat fail and box heat fails then I'm in the wrong place AND NEED A MOTEL.  Life choices..

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »

Mini split are inverter type  heat and ac  ... 

Thanks, good info to know.   BH

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »

I realize that I seem short on the subject but in the past I feel that some have taken my lead as the only way to go.  I make my own choices and fail often and that is on me!  I shared my thoughts in past and feel some what --- well for someone failures.. what I assume and my decisions from ones that actually have had success and failures is that inverter type is least trouble.. vibration is your enemy..  biggest cause of failure is over tight fittings causing cracks - leaks. recharge kits are available on line for $55 and simple vacuum pumps for about $100.  Teflon paste on flares when installing helps when tightening flares fittings( I had a hvac friend) who runs them in his MCI 8 help me with my install.  I run 3 separate units instead of one condenser with 3 evaporators so if one goes down I still have 2 etc.  Just my opinion.. If I hit my foot with a Hammer  please don't try that !!   Highest seer factor you can get  mine are 16   pull  6amp at start up and running..  Total cost for all three including shipping to Indiana 1470$$  you can deal on a package.. Insulate : anchor: Check factory anchor inside cabinet: Don't over tighten fittings; Make sure you have good air flow to condensers.  Bob

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 07:27:18 AM »

Says it has a dehumidifer in it, no?
Where did you put the outside unit?

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 08:02:33 AM »

I agree with Bob's logic above -- multiple complete units, rather than just one compressor running a few indoor units.  That way if one goes down or springs a leak, you've at least got some redundancy and can keep going until you get repaired. 

My comments above were NOT negative as toward mini-split technology in general.  I think it's effective and works well.  In fact, a good friend of mine is using it in a 7500-foot home, with low electrical bills.  Bob already covered the potential drawbacks or failure points in mobile installation, and that's for every installer to deal with as needed.  My negative experience was purely with the salesman (Raf or Rafael or something, it's been a year or two) at the mini split shop online -- he was fine while he was selling, but vanished when support was required on the electronics in one of my units.  (Hey, it's made in China -- you have to manage your expectations and treat them as disposable...)  The units themselves perform as they should, and I would recommend them as a general matter...just from another retailer.  Felt I should post that in case it was unclear.

Cheers, John
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 12:25:34 PM »

Says it has a dehumidifer in it, no?
Where did you put the outside unit?

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

Yes, it has the dehumidifier setting, and it works, however when the heat is on it does not dehumidify.  wish it would do both at the same time, but only in the cool setting or alone.

third day today and loving it!

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 08:29:49 PM »

Ok, my 2 cents. The inverter tech is more efficient, (ramp up less amp draw) but the long term maint has high cost. I can easily fix and bypass a proprietaty (sp) control board on an AC based compressor fan system. But throw in the AC to DC control system and the $$$$ board, Computers and it is out of my control. Sort of like going from points to the computer controlled cars of today. Sorry I digress. I have 3 mini splits, and they have saved me money. I like the simple ac based systems as I can put a relay (contactor) and simple thermostat to control instead of having to pay for the high dollar $$$$$ product specific money maker they have built in. Most of my ac's run all of the time until I shut them off. this negates the savings of the inverter based designes. Oh yea, I am paying for my supposed savings on the inverter based system right now,,,, and that one system is not running. Had this been like the next 2 I installed (non inverter based) I would have them running now.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 10:28:58 PM »

Great thread. Where did you put the outside unit in a bay? does it have a copper line between the units?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 05:40:30 AM »

This mini split deal is all going to be personal preference  I have a friend with a H-45 he has 3 units he paid big bucks for the ceiling mount evaporators air handlers he mounted all 3 condensers in one bay and he has a problem getting enough air he is not going to cut holes in his baggage doors that is out of the question  

He is going to remove his to much maintenance for him he always has leaks,remote problems and board problems but this guy has almost 300 ft of copper tubing lines and he doesn't like having 3 remotes

I just asked him a simple question why does the automotive world use hoses and aluminum piping on the AC units he laughed and maybe to prevent leaks  I think they will be fine parked with low mileage travel and not used when underway with the high pressure of the 410 freon  JMO    
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:42:11 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:01 AM »

I asked this on another forum.. when installing the Mini Splits ..Why can't they be connected with rubber hoses instead of all copper piping ..seems that it would remedy a lot of the vibration issues that everyone is having ,How much air circulation do the bottom units actually need?  best wishes Pete
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 07:05:07 AM »

Going down the road, two 13,500btu roof tops cool the bus down to 75 just fine. When it gets over 105, then the third is kicked in. Insulation works wonders.

While working on the truck, I have a 10,000btu portable A/C that is just enough to make working in the truck tolerable in summer. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: